1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap on carved top (hybrid) bass

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by AlBass, Dec 6, 2019.

1. AlBass

AlBass

Aug 19, 2018
    UK
    Hi
    From my research so far, it seems most people use a laminate bass for playing slap. I am somewhat leaning towards a hybrid bass for my impending purchase, as I want to use it for other music too, where I feel a laminate bass will be too harmonically "flat."
    So my question - I want to play slap, but won't be standing on the bass or throwing it around in any extreme way. Is there any reason NOT to use a hybrid for slap, other than robustness? Surely many of those early rock n roll players were using carved basses? All opinions greatly received!

2. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California

Here's the great Milt Hinton slapping on a super nice and old carved bass (I'm forgetting its origins) with Spiros. I'd get the hybrid honestly. It won't negatively effect the slap tone and like you said it'll have a better sound for when you play other styles on that bass. While I don't play slap a lot, I have a Shen hybrid and I do sometimes slap on it when playing more old school jazz styles. It's definitely a richer tone compared to the more percussive sound of slapping on a plywood with either guts or gut like strings.

3. AlBass

AlBass

Aug 19, 2018
    UK
    Thank you @Sean Riddle, that is super helpful, and encouraging. And beautiful little chunk of Milt too, thank you for sharing that. I feel confident now, and will be going to look at basses in a couple of days.
    Best wishes
    Al

Keith Rawlings and Sean Riddle like this.
  4. I have a Thompson RM200 hybrid that BOTH rocks AND rolls...

I think you’ll be happy with the increased possibilities of a hybrid for it's versatility.

Good luck with whatever you finally choose.

5. AlBass

AlBass

Aug 19, 2018
    UK
    Thank you @Fretless55 , my decision is made! Going to view 4 hybrids on Sunday. Really appreciate the input

6. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    I don't play slap necessarily bit I do play rock and roll. Sound from my Hungarian hybrid is great and really boomy. Issue is feedback and controlling it. Fdeck hpf or a preamp with a hpf is best. I use a Sansamp paradriver with it's rumble filter. Thefm filter is too strong and removed a lot of punch unless I crank the bass control fully.

I love my hybrid

7. AlBass

AlBass

Aug 19, 2018
    UK
    Thank you for feedback on feedback Trimmo91 !
    I now have an old Strunal Laminate which I'm super happy with. Just preferred it over the 3 hybrids the guy had. Pickups will be the next mission, so Im grateful for your input.

DrMole and Fretless55 like this.
  8. Hey good for you!
    I had a Strunal once, it was a great workhorse that worked especially well amplified.

(Bass max PU , fdeck hpf, GK 200MB combo)

9. DrMole and AlBass like this.
  10. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Glad to hear that you got a bass that's right for you.

I love my hybrid but in terms of pickups. My experience has been that a realist is pretty much a no go as it's so prone to feedback. I use a kna db1 or a bassmax clone. These two through the paradriver with the rumble filter engaged works well except if I'm on a wooden stage. Then I have to lay out some carpet. Bare in mind I use a di preamp and in ear monitoring to reduce any risk of feedback. No speakers aimed towards me and the bass at all and feedback can still be an issue. But mainly have issues with wooden stages.

11. AlBass

AlBass

Aug 19, 2018
    UK
    Wow Trimmo ... Im anxious about the feedback thing, especially as Im a new player. Only done electric gigs before.
    In ear is a great idea. I also dont know where to start with that. Theres a learning curve ahead for sure

@Fretless55 what a beautiful picture!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  12. Slapping on a hybrid or carved is not a problem by itself. But, slapping is often used in high volume enviroments, and then feedback is an issue. Most players find that carved and hybrids are more likely to feedback in these situations.

AlBass likes this.
  13. Off ya go buddy!

I think you’re well set with the immediate gear situation ( the pick up, amp and knob twiddling is an ongoing headache...)

But! Don’t ever let the music pass you by .

Best of luck!

AlBass likes this.
  14. AlBass

AlBass

Aug 19, 2018
    UK
    Really appreciate both the advice and the fellowship on this forum. Thanks guys

Fretless55 likes this.
  15. I've got a carved bass.. use it for slapping.. high volume. Have tried alot of different pickup systems.. Landed on the Blast Cult Channel Blaster, great stuff :)
    Laminate might be easier, but it's possible with a carved bass.

16. Arne Tomcat

Arne Tomcat

Jan 17, 2020
    I have been playing slap (Rockabilly, Rock'n'Roll, C&W and Bluegrass) for 35 yrs (mostly laminated, though) and in my opinion the Shadow SH950 through a Fishman preamp (Platinum) gives a good sound in all frequencies. With a decent preamp you should be able to eliminate the most present feedback sources/frequencies. The Shadow pick-up is afordable and durable. I use Spirocore strings, and they give a nice sustain as well as a punchy slap sound.