Slap on Curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxy, Dec 3, 2004.

1. maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    I have a curbow and found it impossible to slap. Has anyone been succesfull to slap on a 4 string and a normal 5 string bass(not extra space betn strings)?
  2. It has to be possible, although it may be difficult. You can slap a guitar if you're so inclined. It's also possible that your strings are way to dead for it. Most likely you need more practice. How's your slap on other basses?
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    How about moving this thread to Basses?

Yeah, let's do that....

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    well, adam nitti definitely has no problems with slapping on his curbows, both fivers and sixers. ;) he may have got them with a custom string-spacing, though - i think i read something like that in an interview.
  5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I used to own a Cort Curbow 5'er and found it to be a good bass for slapping. I think that was largely in part because of the ebonal fretboard. Realistically any bass is slappable... unless there's some un-slappable bass I've never heard of :confused:
  6. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Is it a real curbow or cort? I own a Greg curbow and have owned a cort curbow and found the cort to be prolly one of the easiest basses of all time. Are you having trouble getting a good slap sound or just technique of slaping and poping?
  7. maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    Its the tech.

I hit b when i hit the e and stuff like that.

When i tried on a 4 string then...doing like like slap pop fast my slaps are muted coz of the angle of attack. any suggestions
  8. Just practice more man... I went from a 19mm spacing MTD Kingston 5 to a 17mm spacing Cort Curbow 6 and I had to spend a while in the woodshed getting used to it. You have to be more precise, that's all. You can slap pretty much any bass, some are just easier than others.
  9. nope, never. :smug: