Slap on fretless?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mat gregory, Dec 23, 2004.

1. tryed a fretless warwick today , it was my first go on a fretless and i did play alot of slap (oops), sum1 told me slap sounds crap on fretless but i think it sounded wonderful ,so i think il buy one and slap it , but whats the life on a fretboard and whats the wood on warwick fretboards??
  2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    ok... and, ebony if it's a fretless
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  4. Slap can sound awesome on a fretless - check out some of Michael Manring's stuff.
  5. what i thought , i had a liten to les claypool , he slaps and taps on a 6 string fretless but theyre custom made tho!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  6. riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    i say do whatever you want.

a huge portion of bass players don't even believe in slaping and tapping on bass
  7. IMHO, slap is the proverbial holy grail. I've listened to it played a lot, and it sounds damn good when done properly, so it's something i would love to learn (i'm currently very much a total bass noob, i'm working on getting my basic fingerstyle up to snuff before tackling slap).

I can't deny the awesome sound that fingerstyle produces, but hearing the slap sound just says "FUNK!" to me in this irresistible way.
  8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Also think that "You can call me Al" by Paul Simon is slapped on a fretless by Bakithi Kumalo (sp?). That´s another great example of what´s not supposed to be.
  9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    love slappin' on my fretless - then again it too is an ebony-boarded Warwick. And I keep rounds on it.

when i get my fretless thumb 6 i'll probably put flats on that one, tho, for a different timbre.
  10. How bad is your fretboard beat up Dave? I heard its okay on ebony cause its supposed to be a really hard wood. any truth to this?
  11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    No damage at all to the fretboard. I don't slap all the time though, so maybe someone who slapped more often would potentially get some wear at their thumb impact point, but certainly nothing at all on the fretting-hand side. Maybe over years...
  12. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    ....or check out Roy Husky Jr. and his bluegrass slappin'. Ooops...I'm revealing my "multi-fauceted" musical tastes.
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  14. Just to point out that if you're trying out someone else's fretless then you should ask permission before slapping on it. Some people might freak out if you're slapping and popping on a fretless without their prior consent.
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    +1 I've seen some mean damage caused by bad slap technique.

I'd go for it. Coincidentally, I was slapping on my fretless before and while I was reading this topic :).
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also, slap with a more laid back approach instead of the "Flea" technique.