1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap on LIGHTWEIGHT bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PitchMitch, Mar 18, 2021.

1. PitchMitch

PitchMitch

Aug 15, 2020
    Hi

I’m having trouble slapping on a lightweight bass. The bass itself moves around too much while I slap and it distracts the movement (particularly when popping/pulling the upper strings) due to it being so light. It’s an Ibanez 5 string 32” pretty sure it weighs only 2.7kg or a hair under 6 pounds.
    I guess it’s not surprising the bass moves around given the weight. maybe my action is too high to make the pop slap and I have to pull it too hard?

2. PitchMitch

PitchMitch

Aug 15, 2020
    bump

3. Less force and/or Lighter gauge strings easiest option.

Lower the action bit by bit to see if that helps.

Refine your technique - Rest your upper- and mid-forearm across the upper face of the bass’ body to help stabilise it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    gebass6 likes this.
  4. I just pulled out my lightweight shortscale and it holds tight by my right forearm holding the bass down against my body and tightening the tension on the strap. So maybe raise your bass up a little?

Just a guess.

(Edit: just want to clarify that my slapping sounds bad on this bass, but the bass stays put)

Groove Doctor likes this.
  5. PitchMitch

PitchMitch

Aug 15, 2020
    Thanks people. May the bass be with you

6. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Man, you might be the first and only bass player here on TalkBass to EVER say something negative about a light weight bass!

You have my honor!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021