1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap on the EUB

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by gypsydjango, Dec 4, 2019.

1. gypsydjango

gypsydjango

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Anybody slap on the EUB? Success?

2. bassburner

bassburner Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    When I tried slapping on a EUB, a Palatino VE-500, the sound was acceptable although not as good as a traditional upright in my opinion.

However, the issue I had was the aggressive nature of slapping tended to cause it to physically wobble back and forth on the end pin since there's no where to hold it still with. With the VE-500, you can use the extension arm but I found that thing even more annoying.

3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I slap on a UBass, pretty much a mini-version of slapping on the DB. Slapping volume is much higher with my UBass (Kala UBASS-EBY-FL) through an amp, so slapping has to be much more controlled and gentle; also there is no pre-amp blending of the slap signal with the pizz signal on my UBass like there is on my DB, so that level of control has to be done by controlling the slap intensity. I would imagine that could be the same with an EUB.

Slapping is typically all on the strings and the fingerboard, so the kinds of strings you're using and your stetup (action) would make a big difference in playability and the sound. And the type of EUB (stick vs hollow body, etc.) would also make a difference.

4. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Ya don't slap an upright, you 'spank' it!
    IMG_4505.JPG

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  5. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    The guy who played with the Hollisters used to slap an Ampeg Baby Bass and it sounded great. That’s about the only EUB I think that would sound decent slapping on.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021