1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cabbo, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Cabbo

Cabbo

Oct 1, 2009
    Aight?

I want a decent overdrive that keeps all the attack of slapping and popping, without ruining the signal and fuzzing everything over. So, is there a cool little OD pedal that I'm missing out on, or do I need to use a compressor or something? I've had a look around, and most bass distortion seems to be too synth-y sounding - I just want a bit of crispiness.

Talkbass forums, can you fix it for me to find a good OD for slap style? Thanks a bunch.

2. Well, in order to keep your attack, you need an effect which let's your clean tone through as well. I have exactly what you need.

The Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. It's an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-909 with a clean blend.

Go check their stuff out at www.voodoolab.com

Bass in your face,

Josh.

3. Cabbo

Cabbo

Oct 1, 2009
    That's... pretty much... yeah. Would be nice to hear a demo for the bass, but what I've seen of the tube screamers and of a guy playing the sparkle in drop C on guitar, they sound pretty good.

Other suggestions still very welcome.

4. Well, I'll make a recording tonight and post a link to it. I play a Lakland Darryl Jones 4 (jazz type bass). That should hopefully to give you a bit more of an idea. I must warn you, I'm not exactly excellent at slap!

5. Cabbo

Cabbo

Oct 1, 2009
    That'd be fantastic. I don't care if you hit the strings with a hammer, I just want to hear how it responds to low end and attack.

Ask, and you shall receive, I suppose. Thanks a lot, this is unusually kind.

6. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Just FYI I've posted clips of that pedal here, as have others, they'd turn up with a search.

7. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    HBE Hematoma with a clean blend, or double op amp modification...

Listen to undisclosed desires by Muse, and you will get it.

8. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Just in case you got curious, I made a soundclip of the Ibanez TS9B with some thumbstyle playing. My bass for this clip is a Fender Mustang with the pickups swapped out for a Mudbucker (definitely not a great bass for thumbstyle playing) and I run it through a Marshall tube head and a single 15" driver that doesn't respond much above 3k. Not a great rig for thumbstyle. But here's how it sounds:

SoundClick artist: Psychedelic Bass Jams - page with MP3 music downloads

Gets a little fuzzy, probably too fuzzy for you. The Sparkle Drive doesn't fuzz out the same, and would probably be more up your alley.

9. Cabbo

Cabbo

Oct 1, 2009
    Sorry Femto, it looks like my quicktime has crashed so I can't even hear your samples. Thanks for making the effort though.

Cheers Mark. From what Femto's said, and hearing your samples, I reckon this sparkledrive thing sounds mighty fine. I'll go searching for those old-post samples now.

As for the Muse song, it's hard to hear the bass properly behind all that background synth fuzz, but it sounds about right.

10. I'd consider the Darkglass B3k... it's got a clean blend and a three position switch that accentuates the point of the EQ. The best thing about the B3Kthough, is that it's baseline EQ is quite flat, allowing your instrument and amp's inherent tone to shine.

Check out the clip of slap bass here (second half of clip):

11. Black Bart

Black Bart

Sep 11, 2010
    Very nice, but $320.00 is a little steep, time to search for a used one.

12. I bought used for the same reason. But, they don't come up FS often.

13. Cabbo

Cabbo

Oct 1, 2009
    The darkglass is very good. I'm guessing with a bit of tweaking I can get exactly what I want from it. At the minute the sparkledrive is winning because of price, but I'll look in to this one, and a few more.

I've pretty much gotten all I need from this thread. Thanks all for some great suggestions, and I hope I can return the favor.

14. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    A catalinbread teaser stallion into a dbx compressor and no pre amp can sound absolutely aggressive and amazing. I would advise running a parallel clean channel as well.

I also had a crappy behringer 4ch mixer that I would get to clip that was pretty neat, minus pretty much everything but the sound...

15. cccy

cccy

Nov 23, 2010
    London, UK
    I have the Boss ODB-3 and I can say that if you know how to use it, it's quite versatile. And not very expensive.

You might even consider bi-amping so that the effect does not crush your lows. My two cents.

16. Cabbo

Cabbo

Oct 1, 2009
    I went to my usual music shop today, and lo and behold our old friend the sparkledrive was sitting below the counter. I tried it out, but I hadn't brought much money so I figured I'd have to come back, but I asked how much it was anyway. Turns out that it was second hand, and despite it being in store condition (minus the addition of some velcro on the back) I got it for 75 quid.
    I just managed to pull myself away from it and seriously, this pedal is something else. More than anything I noticed how well it blends with other pedals - it's an amazing overdrive by itself, but if you add an envelope filter, for example, it's a goddamn abomination. If anyone swings by this topic looking for a good pedal for slap OD, this pedal is a top dog, even at the usual retail price.

17. Ahaa! Result. :)

18. Way Huge Pork Loin. Love that thing...it gives you some edge to your sound, and preserves your dynamic. Think of it as your tone getting the classiest five o'clock shadow.