Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap Passages

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flea666, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    What Effect would i use to make my slap passages in songs, stand out and sound wicked?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The effect of practise would be a good starting point :ninja: ;)

Do you have any particular recorded examples in mind?

Wulf

3. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    envelopper filter!!

I have a mini q trno, rocks at slap passages! especially because it boosts your signal

4. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    i want somthing that can make my bass stand out make it more twangyer i dunno, just make it stand out more.

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Sometimes I like to kick in my phaser and make it all swirly-like.

6. +1...a good compressor will make ur slap and pop super bright on the right setting...i at one point had a boss bass limiter/enhancer and the enhance part of it was pretty good for slapping, but when i got my compressor, i sold the limiter/enhancer cuz the compressor did that and soo much more

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Flea uses an MXR Micro-Amp to boost his slap passages. You may be interested in adding a little extra to your sound before the amp.

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    possibly the aphex bass exciter. can really make ur bass stand out and can get that twangy trebly sound. not cheap though. i cant slap at all btw...

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1 "million" slaps...

11. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    My biggest gripe with people slapping is watching people going for their biglimelight moment- and then as soon as they change technique and start slapping- they lose all the bottom end to their sound and they get lost beneath the drums in the mix.

I use a sansamp BDDI- not because it's the bees knees- but because it's already part of my signal chain and I'd rather not add anything else in at the moment. it allows me to put a big scoop in my sound and ensures if I slap I don't do the dissapearing bass player trick. It does involve having to bend over and fiddle with knobs mid set which is a pain. If I didn't use that I'd go with a plain old eq pedal.