slap pick ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bubinga051, Aug 3, 2004.

1. bubinga051

Jul 5, 2004
    hey i searched the forums and found some stuff but nothing really satisfied my question of what are the best pick ups for a good slap tone? Deep and growly lows with clear highs? i realize theres no such thing as "best" its all personal preference but just what the general consensus is would be great!

2. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Some may not agree but I dig on EMG's and I tend to slap a lot when just practicing or jamming. I also have always liked the tone I get from Fender Jazz pickups when slapping.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Sadowsky Humcancelling Jazz Sadowsky Humcancelling Jazz Sadowsky Humcancelling Jazz Sadowsky Humcancelling Jazz Sadowsky Humcancelling Jazz Sadowsky Humcancelling Jazz Sadowsky Humcancelling Jazz Sadowsky Humcancelling Jazz Sadowsky Humcancelling Jazz Sadowsky Humcancelling Jazz

or if you dont have the moolah,

Dimarzio Ultra Jazz. they're not quite as growly, but they have a similar deep low end, and soaring high end. poor man's sadowsky pickup.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I dig the Ultra Jazz too
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the Ultra Jazz are very good pickups. Joker is right, the low mid is better defined in the Sadowskys and the highs are a bit tamer - they can sound a tad harsh in the UJ.
  6. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Bartolini Classic Bass humcancelling J and Classic bass MM4CBC in series

with maple neck and Sadowsky stainless strings.
  7. angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    In your search for a great slap tone, have you considered pickup location and body/neck woods. I have students who own J-basses routed for the standard (60's) bridge pickup location, asking me : why?, even with new strings and active EQ, can't they get the "Marcus" tone ? (70's bridge pickup location).
    Also, the combination of fretboard and body woods will influence your slap tone...and tone in general for that matter.

SOoooo....before you go swapping out 90 different pickups, make sure your pickup routes are in the right location for the sound you're after. Good luck.
  8. EMG P/J.
    Aggie Pre.

+100 Bonus points if they come stock in a spector, like mine. :D

Slapping Machine i can assure you
  9. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I agree with AngryDad - There are many factors to consider - body and fretboard woods and especially pickup placement will absolutely have an affect on the end result of the tone. It's hard to comment too much without know what kind of bass and woods combinations your dealing with. There's no guarantee the new pickups will sounds overwhelmingly great with the stock preamp electronics in your bass. I believe that a good preamp plays a tremendous part in the tonal shaping capabilites - as much as new pickups themselves. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Seymour Duncan pickups and preamps. (Not knocking Barts, I've had them too). Their STC-2 and STC-3 preamps can cover a tremendous range of tonal options from traditional to very MTD-535 hi-fi modern tones with incredible top-end response while retaining a tight, deep growling low-end and ALL points in between. If new pickups only get you halfway there, a new tone circuit might just be the ticket to put you over the top.

Good luck in your quest. :bassist:

10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Lindy Fralins no pre-amp!