Slap Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rockbassist1087, Apr 10, 2003.

1. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Which pickups would produce a punchier, overall better sound for slap? Stock pickups in a Peavey Cirrus bass or a set of EMG 35dc and 40dc?
  2. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm not too sure about the stock pickups in the Cirrus, but EMGs rock. they offer great clarity and tons of punch.

regarding the 35dc and pretty sure the only difference is size. check out the EMG website for specs.
  3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The 35 DC is 3.5"x1.5" and the 40 DC is 4"x1.5". I have both, different basses. They are amazingly clear. To check clarity, you shouldn't go through an onboard preamp, especially a Peavey Pre. I played a few and they were mud city (with PV pickups though).

EMGs are all about clarity. They have a preamp built into the pickup to "produce" the sound before sending it out. This takes away some of the less desireable midrange frequencies that passive pickups will transmit. The best bet for you if you are looking to make a Peavey Cirrus super-clear (though they are pretty good in the clarity dept) is to get the EMG DC pickups (that fit your bass) and their BQS system. That will give you full control over the tone.