Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap plate

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HotTubesGrooves, Aug 4, 2005.

1. I wish to add a slap plate to my Warwick Streamer Jazzman fretless, so I can slap it without chewing up the fingerboard. I searched for old threads and its been mentioned but there wasnt much info...

Does anyone a) know of anywhere in the UK I can contact to get this done or b) know how I could go about making and fitting one myself? I'm terrible at doing this kind of stuff however...

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me! :)

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    How's about putting a plastic film on it?
    Do a search on mylar in Setup and you'll find the threads

3. It is not very hard to do this yourself.. just get the material, i used stainless steel 3mm thick.. saw it to a workable size fit it at the end of the fretbard and draw a line along the curve of the fretboard. then use an elektric grinder to get down to this line.. then use warious grades of sandpaper to get it smoth..

or contact your local smith and have them make it for you, im sure they would do a great job and it shouldn't be very expencive.

- Robin

4. Thanks guys, thats great : ) I love the feel of my fingerboard as is at the moment, so I'm not sure about coating it with plastic - an interesting idea though that I hadnt thought of.

One question on the plate - Once you have lowered the area where the plate will sit, whats the best way to secure it to the wood? Some form of epoxy resin?

5. unfortunatly I havent fitted mine yet.. but i have been gluing stinless before, various types of cunstruction glue seems to work fine.. but these are ugly.. so i wont be using this on my bass, I think that epoxy would do the tric if you sand the area of contact with 80 grit sandpaper.
    this is what i will do if someone doesn't change my mind

6. The slap plate I saw on a fretless has 2 screws holding it to the neck. If you decided it wasn't working right or you change your mind, 2 screw holes are easier to restore. IMHO of course. You could even just use 1 screw.
    Dirk

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Two, smallish, recessed screws!
    YOu may change your mind over the years, and changing fingerboards is not that fun ;)