Slap players and tube heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumple, May 18, 2005.

1. Rumple

May 12, 2005
    Was just curious if any slap players get a good tone from a tubed head? And if not what head they recommend for slap. And if so what tube head they recommend?
  2. Would love to know the same thing! I've heard good slap tone from hybrid amps like eden and even ampeg, but not from an all tube amp yet?
  3. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Les Claypool uses mesa 400+, well he used to. he got an amazing slap tone from that.
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, Claypool is a good example.

Doesn't Martninie from Mudvayne use SVT II's?
  5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Amazing slap tone? ;)

6. True that Ryan from mudvayne does use SVT2-PROs although I heard that recently he's been using SVT4-PROs? wonder why?
  7. Probably reliability of a hybrid compaired to an all tube head for a heavy gigging band?
  8. has anyone heard a good slap sound from a Sunn 300t?
  9. OMG, Les Claypool's tone is one of the worst tones I've ever heard. I have a live recording of him and it's an awful tone. :spit:
  10. Didn't Flea use a Mesa Boogie all tube head? He had a good tone.
  11. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus

I want to know if i'm going to be able to slap on this 300T I might be getting..

I do play alot of slap, especially funkier stuff (Think old incubus) and when doing solo work I slap as well (Or when i'm playing things like CT or Country Music etc..).

I want growl and warmth, but I also want nice slap sound..
  12. "I want growl and warmth, but I also want nice slap sound.."

Sounds like the perfect amp, tell me if you find it! (joking) - yeah, a tough combination to find I think...
  13. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    its an example.
  14. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    popinfresh, Dirk used/uses all Eden gear and a Warwick Streamer. I liked his slap tone on fungus amongus and science.
  15. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ardorx - Yeah, i know :( Two 410 XLT's and a 18XLT, double that for big gigs.. Can't remember what amps though.

I'd love an eden cab, but their too expensive here, don't get my started on their amps.
    And i'd love a Streamer Stg II... But don't get me started on how overpriced that thing is :p Sweet sound though.
  16. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Guys...Flea uses and has used Gallien Krueger for a long time. Les Claypool has used Ampeg tube-pre and solid state amps for years! If you want to think "good slap tone"...then I would think Larry Graham...the father of slap...I'm sure at some point he used an all-tube amp since back in the day...solid state sucked...and still does sometimes. I have used a Mesa Boogie Buster 200 all-tube head that sounded monstrous but clear and quick too. Most older tube heads might have a little lag or "compressed" sound when slapped because of the surge of input to the tubes. I don't know if a Sunn 300T is going to sound good unless it is one of the newer ones. I think part of my Mesa sounding so good was that it was a "new" tube new technology in terms of tube. good luck!
  17. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^The Sunn i'm looking at is just before Fender put their own badge on it. Tube wise, it's just been recently (last week) retubed with Svet 6550C's.

Think it'd slap nice?
  18. I use the slap technique quite often, and (to put this in context) like a very 'modern' slap tone, with fast transients and lot's of zingy high end. I use MTD (for new school sound ) and Celinder (for old school single coil sound).

I don't think a 'pure' tube head will ever give you the fast transients really needed for slap style. The 'give' in them (which is why so many people love them) is just not optimal for that style of playing. However, a tube pre seems to work fine. Marcus Miller used the SWR amps for years (transistor power and a tube driven pre). The Eden line works fine too.

If you are really looking for a modern sizzle, the EBSHD350 is awesome (it's the head that Marcus is using now). I'm using a Thunderfunk550 at the moment, and with the switch option, it really sounds good for slap style... very, very quick, and a very natural sounding high end.

One head that I found REALLY didn't work for slap style was the relatively new MPulse600. It's a hybrid head (tube pre and solid state power). However, Mesa takes the tube stages a little further and actually use a tube to drive the MOSFET solid state section. The good news is, the MPulse sounds very, very much like a full tube amp (power and pre). The bad news is, it's quite spongy when slapped.

So.... Eden, SWR would be my choice for the optimal blend of tubes and solid state when slapping.
  19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI

I'm still playing with my new 700RBII (played two gigs with it so far), and while my rig sounds amazing with everything set flat, as I learn how the controls interact I'm dialing-in SUCH a warm, beefy tone! ..And this WITH great high-end articulation.

I'm just floored with the famous GK growl you can get with their special 'G.I.V.E.' boost-gain.

20. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, i've never been able to get a warm, beefy tone from a GK. I was looking at them a while ago though, i did like the quick punchiness, but it just couldn't get that fat old school vibe. The only other thing I should mention is that I want a nice o/d.

Also, I should add, i'm not after a quick, zingy, bright slap tone.. More a beefy punchy one that can still cut through.. (I've never liked bright and trebley/brittle bass, i'm all about smooth, warm and fat lows :cool: )

Funny enough, I actually liked the slap tone of the m-pulse.. It was that spongy-ness that I liked. I found I could dial most of it out if I wanted to though and also found it to be controlled enough..
    I love the sound and o/d on the Mesa BB750, but can't afford it in a long shot.
    I've been offered the Sunn at a resonable price, especially with new tubes and a road case.. But the whole slap thing is holding me back with all tube.

See, Claypool had a different tone with his Mesa 400+, that some love and some hate. The thing is though, his slap lines seemed very fast responsive and clean.. and that was going through 4x15's (Talking older primus here). I must say i'm not a fan of his new Ampeg tone though..

Also, Martinie's older sound with the SVT II Pro's sounded allright I thought.. I have the End of All Things DVD and I think his slap tone is pretty sweet.

I'm confused :p