Slap / Pop and Fingerstyle Exercise (Technique ok ?)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by OysterBoy, Sep 5, 2005.

1. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada

Spot anything critically wrong with my technique? I've just started playing earlier this year, and just recently learned to play slap.

Any constructive criticism is welcome.
  2. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    There wasn't much slap to analyze. You didn't seem to hit the strings hard enough to get a slap tone, nor did you pop. For good examples of various ways to slap; check out videos of Marcus Miller (smooth vintage slap), Flea (hard rock slap), Les Claypool (power slapping with a unique wrist angle), and Victor Wooten (Double Thumbing).

I always took to a version much like a Flea/Les Claypool mixture. I picked up a Marcus Miller Jazz bass once and started adapting to his style of slap, though. Just make sure you're smacking the string with the beef of your thumb and making crisp pops.

You seem to be using an immobile anchor. I suggest trying to mute the string below with your thumb or a "floating anchor". It mutes the strings better and gives a more proper, consistent wrist angle. It's the most common way.

P.S. - It might be the camera, but you appear to have EXTREMELY long fingers. Like Jimmy Page long. You'd be an excellent guitarist, if they really are that long. Or if you stick to bass, check out 5/6 strings. You sounded good, though.
  3. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks, I realize there wasn't really much slap, and I guess I didn't pop the notes hard enough (They came directly after the slapped notes). Hmm, finger length. Measured from the inseem / joint on the inside of my palm, my middle fingers is 3.25" (Or 4.25" from the bottom of my knuckle), and I'm 15. Long ?

I've considered playing guitar, I'm still not sure. I really dig playing bass, I'm not a fan of strumming. I could always start with fingerstyle / classical guitar I suppose. Whatever

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'll check out some of the reccomended artists (Already familiar with them, but never really tried to learn anything by them).
  4. rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    i agree there wasnt much slapping in there, but i really like your fretting hand technique
  5. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks; most people comment on my pinkie / ring finger being pretty well used for my length of experience.
  6. angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    Your playing sounds great and holds LOTS of promise! As far as your plucking hand is concerned. Anchor your thumb on a pickup or on a lower string, and pluck the string in such a way that your plucking finger comes to rest on the string above it. In other words, you'll "push" the string slightly towards the pickup and it ( the string) will "pop" out as your finger rolls off it . This will create a fuller, more pronounced tone, without having to "whack" the string. The way your plucking now, sort of "outward",decreases volume and punch. Good luck.
  7. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
  8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Jaco had long fingers and he played 4 strings :) I have short stubby fingers and I'd kill to have longer ones.
  9. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    That video... is absolutely insane...

Before, I wasn't too big on slapping (Didn't see it as being more then a novelty trick)... but now.. Well, when I can buy a new Line-In cable, that is (Mine isn't working, so no more bass for a while... :crying: ), I'll be investing ALOT of time into slap bass.