Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap pop finger

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mlowe, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Hi,

Do you guys use your index finger or your middle finger when poping. I have always used my index finger but have always struggled to gain some real fluency with it. I have been trying my middle finger but find it feels a little weird.

Some people say there is no right or normal way to do it and that it's up to the individual to even innovate a style but at the moment I'd like to at least be comfotable with the basics.

How do you guys do this? Any help or ideas would be great. :)

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I alternate between the two, but I have been playing this style for over 30 years. :) take your time and do what's comfortable for you and your style will develope naturally.

3. Thank you for your feedback, it's also great to get this from someone so experienced. I'll stick it out and keep trying both. I'm finding the 70's music the coolest. Funk, motown etc is very inspirational to me. I don't know much about these artists but I'm searching for more and more. Here this music is not all that popular. :(

Anything like Stevie Wonder etc is very appealing. The Sadowsky Vintage 70's J is on order too. NY seems to be like the heart of this music.

Thanks again.

4. I once took lessons from a guy who popped with his little finger. It was crazy - he would sort of lever/wedge the string with the inside of his little finger, then mute with the outside, all while it was bent in a U shape. He was also a freakily fast and accurate slapper on his six and eight string basses.

Me, I also alternate between the index and middle fingers, depending on how far I have to reach from my thumb position.

5. I was practicing tonight and found exactly that. I play a 5 string at the minute and when slaping the b and e I was using the middle finger but as moving to the d g strings the index finger was far better.

While this all sounds really simple I'm kicking myself for not seeing this earlier. I guess I'm not the first so when I can get on here and ask you guys it makes me think a heap better. And the results are much faster.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You really do help.

:)