Slap/Pop on Warwick Thump 5

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Timm, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Timm

Jan 24, 2003
    Denmark, Struer

Im currently playing a Warwick Thump BO 5 string.

I have up to now only played "normal" fingerstyle, but Iøm getting more into the Slap/Pop technique.

My problem is the narrow string spacing on the Warwick. I can't seem to get my fingers in a position to pop the string fast enough.

Is there a special technique I should learn, or do I just need to practice more?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Right there buddy.

Keep at it, and soon you'll be slappin' that german beast like theres no tomrrow ;)
  3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    It's Thumb (B, b) man, I see you spelled it wrong twice...
    My bass has really narrow spacing to (Ibanez SR3005esol (presige)), but it just took time. Practice really slowly with it. But eventually it'll come to you with no problem. Every once in a while I "bump" another string, but you can't really hear it that much.
    Just slow down, and practice it some more man...
    Good LUCK!
  4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    well if you are playing on a warwick, they are meant to be really adjustable like the nut height bridge height, and spacings. if the strings are too far apart, twiddle a hole to make them come closer in, although you might not be able to play normally aswell. or just practice as much as you can :D that way you adjust to it. Like when i started slap i could get a pukka e string but when it came to the a string i most normally hit another string with it
  5. Timm

Jan 24, 2003
    Denmark, Struer
    Hi again,

Thanks for your answers. I guess I just have to practise some more. :bassist:

Sorry about the spelling..... :rolleyes:
  6. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Buy a metronome and pratice slooowwlyyy. i you learn poor technique at correct speed, it's very hard to iron out. Learn it slowly and you can nip the imperfections in the bud, learn where your hands are supposed to be, and importantly with slap, sort out left hand muting to stop accidently hit string ringing out. When you bring it up to speed, and should sound great. (at least that's the theory :D )

This goes for other techniques as well. when I was first advised to practice at snail's pace, I tried playing some of my existing chops slowly. I was horrified at how untify my technique was. I sorted out the mistakes and dosdy technque, and the played them up to speed, and was amazed how much better they sounded.

PS, the thumb is a fine slap bass ( i play the same thumb 5 BO). bell brass frets, set back P/ups ans a ton of string/body clearance. The 2 band eq is quite useful too, for getting a scooped slap tone.