Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap/pop speed and accuracy

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JonnyLentilbean, Feb 8, 2003.

1. let me begin my declaring myself as a huge les claypool, victor wooten, and stanley clarke fan.

i've <u>finally</u> gotten my slap/pop technique to work for me. i had problems with my fingers popping the strings, but that hurdle is now eliminated...

i can fake my way through many lines, though i'm curious as to any good techniques for getting the speed up... such as any exercises you all do? thanks.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    the only way to get faster is to practice. slowly

3. Amethska

Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    As with anything bass-related, start slow... and use a metronome. Set it to something like 60 BPM, and put it up a notch at a time. Sure ,takes a long time, but really builds up that speed. :)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    start slow and work up the speed. also, keep your slapping hand loose - don't tighten up. that chokes your potential speed and also can hurt your timing.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author &quot;The Art of Solo Bass&quot;
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    heh, that artcle is almost the exact same thing a bass instructor at idyllwild jazz camp taught me ;)

and it works!

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    He probably got it from me! I learned the technique in 1979 and have been teaching it ever since. The article in Bass Frontiers was printed in the May/June issue of 1998 - almost 5 years ago.

Mike

8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey Mike, ive been doing that drumstick technique for a week now, and it has already helped me a million bucks! i reccomend it to ANYONE and EVERYONE who wants faster slapping!!

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I wish that I could take credit for it. But it was shown to me in 1979 by Randy Coven ("Sammy Says Ouch")

Mike

10. as always, your help is greatly appreciated :)