1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap Problem concerning muting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I have been slapping since I began playing bass because it has always appealed to me. I started out playing Higher Ground a lot and consequently I accidently slap a note twice when I only mean to slap it once which can be quite frustrating. Is there anything I should do to correct this? The major problem I am having is muting notes when slapping and popping octaves (example Alright by Jamiroquai - http://youtube.com/watch?v=rND8EqzxcA4), I keep muting when I slap by accident instead of slapping the actual note. I am fretting the note correctly but my right hand is muting it. Does anyone have any exercises or solutions to this problem? Thanks in advance.

2. i'm... not a hundred percent sure what your asking but if its actually slapping and producing a note via slap and your not gettin ganything what you need to do is not slap, the string, but bounce, gotta get a bounce in there

just keep doin it till ya get it, hours and hours of frustration gets the job done, no easy way out unfortunetly

but like i said if its that particular situation i've been there

bounce

3. i realized I used to do that too. I would play Aeroplane with way to many dead notes on the thumb slapping parts. Took a few listens to the song for me to realize flea does not mute the notes and I am not playing it right.

I corrected it by just.. well.. correcting it? I don't know what trouble youre running into exactly but I would suggest playing the slap lines slowly so you can get a feel of the correct muting.

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Alright thanks guys I realized it's only going to be corrected through practice.

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Any comments about slapping a note twice by accident?

6. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    The best thing to do is to take a phrase from the piece you are trying to play and make it an etude that includes the part you are having problems with. Make it a one or two bar phrase and slow it right down. Making sure that you play every note precisely. Slowly speed up, adjusting your technique as you go and repeating at a slower speed when you make a mistake.