Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by maxy, Dec 31, 2004.

1. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    I own a 5 string cort curbow no special spacing.

When i slap i need to mute the strings betn the octace. (Slapping e's means muting an a string). Is that okay?

Also i seem to hit my lower part of my thumb on a b string when i slap an e string. Is that wrong tech. No extr. noise comes doing this but i dont own a loud amp so dont know what happens if i make it loud.

Help.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You're slapping with your forearm perpendicular to the strings, aren't you? It's an ok method, but you can get far better speed, efficiency, and accuracy by modifying how you hold the bass. If you raise the strap up a bit and slap with your forearm almost parallel to the strings, it'll be much, MUCH easier to slap accurately. Go here and download "Bass Loops". For a large portion of the video, TB'er urb_munki does some spectacular slapping and it's a great example of good technique, even if you don't dig the music.

3. *Cough* Mark King! *cough* *cough*

4. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    i actually slap sth like in less than 45d angle. Is that okay? I mean does it have to very close to perp or parral to the strings.

And...flea, mark king...who else does the perp thingy.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah. Just because Mark King, who is clearly a mind-blowingly talented bassist slaps that way doesn't make the method any better. Like I said, it's an "ok" method. There are better, more efficient, and more accurate ways. I could cite a dozen bassists who slap with their forearms parallel to the strings, but there's no point -- just because Victor Wooten slaps with his arm parallel to the strings, doesn't mean I should, and just because Mark King slaps with his arm perpendicular doesn't mean that maxy should do it that way either.