Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Well, I'm new to slap and I think I've got the hand motion down, finally...but now come two other problems. first, I've read you're supposed to slap right next to the end of the neck...but when I do this, usually I hit the string too hard(if it's the E or A...this won't happen with the D or G when I slap them) and it hits somewhere on the neck(I can't tell exactly where it hits either-probably the 1st fret or the end of the neck) which creates a horrible sound nothing like slap at all. And when I do slap right and soft enough so it won't hit the neck, it's so soft I can barely hear it(and it still doesn't sound completely right). I can make do somewhat better quite close to the bridge(actually, this is my preferred place to play) but it still sounds wrong. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, any ideas?

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I could be wrong, but your bass probaly needs the action lowered so it doesn't require as much force in your hand to slap the strings off the fretboard.

3. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    So how would I do that? :confused:

EDIT: After an extensive review of the "search" option up there(sorry guys, I'm new to this:D ) I understand what action is. Now, another question...I'm going to lower my action, however the E string action seems to be lower than the other strings...how would I make the E string the same as the others?

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    If the E string is already lower, I would just start by lowering the other strings to the same height as the E. Then go from there.

5. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Hey, I'm quite new to the bass...can you explain how I would lower all the other ones without lowering the E? By the way, I lowered the action by about 1/6 last night and today I'm going to string it back up and see how it works now...:)

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Setting your action is pretty easy. First get an allen wrench. On the top of each of your saddles (the individual metal pieces your strings set on, on the bridge) there should be two screws on. Take the allen wrench and loosen the both screws so the saddle comes down. After you set your action, play each fret on the string you just lowered, making sure it doesn't fret out, buzz, or have a dead spot. If any of that happens, just raise the saddle a little wee bit, until that doesn't happen. Do that to each string you wish to set.

Hope some of that helps. :)

7. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    I lowered my action and although the problem is a bit better, it's far from fixed. Do you know what could be the problem now? Most likely it's my technique, I guess I'll have to have an expert at the guitar store show me sometime