Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by funkymonkey, Jan 4, 2003.

1. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    hi!
    any one knows how to slap and pop two notes simultaneously, an octave for example. im playin power of equality by the chilis right now and i think theres a part in the outro where he slaps a Eb (Eb-string 0) and pops an Ab (Db-string 7) the same time. how can i do that properly?

2. mr.hankey

mr.hankey

Dec 24, 2002
    Netherlands
    I don't think he does that....

3. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    neither do i, but its in the book by HL. ;)
    i think i leave the Eb away.
    any comments still welcome...

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    this question has been asked at least a 1000 times in here, do a search and you'll find the answers you seek.

5. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    so i made the search and didnt find anything among the first 80 posts that fits to my question. i cant understand why a question may not be asked twice or so. its nearly everywhere the same. when a newbee comes and asks something he immediately is told to make a search first. ok i understand that completely but only for very common questions that were obviously asked before. if a question only may be asked once, every forum soon wont have any questions any more. i dont wanna flame at you but i notice this in nearly every bss i ever was.
    greetz

6. mr.hankey

mr.hankey

Dec 24, 2002
    Netherlands
    hiya funkymonkey,

I think I read somewhere here on TB that Flea uses a DOD envelope pedal for the effect.
    I saw him play it live once and he definately did not slap and pop at the same time, it was a real simple octave slap / pop with some swirly/wah-like effects on top.

Hope this helps!

7. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    hey cool thanx. that was a full answer to my question thx very much!
    puh i thought id have to learn that style for hours to play PoE. so just with wah? ok
    greetz

8. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    btw whats DOD, a pedal from the company called DOD? can i use any wah pedal or is it special?

9. mr.hankey

mr.hankey

Dec 24, 2002
    Netherlands
    this is a quote I found on TB:

Boss makes an Autowah, which if I'm not mistaken.. is a term interchangeable with envelope filter or envelope follower. Flea currently tours with a Boss 105Q Crybaby (manual wah pedal for bass) and an Electroharmonix Qtron (envelope filter).. either one would probably do a pretty good job of getting the sound on Power of Equality, or something similar, but I'd guess he uses the Qtron. I'm almost definitely sure that it is a DOD Envelope on the album..

hope this helps!

:p

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Oh I dunno, just seems that "How Do I Slap" questions come up fairly frequently. Im not saying you dont know how to slap/pop, but if you know how to do it proporly, then Id imagine that you'd be able to put 2 and 2 together on how do slap/pop two strings simultaniously. BTW, there are questions that are asked 2, 3, sometimes 4 times etc. Not to flame you or anything on this either.

11. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    @cassanova: well i just thought theres some kind of trick behind it or anyone knows a good exercise.
    slap questions appear very frequently here i know, but hey, its much harder than finger pick style ;)

@mr.hankey: ah now i understand. the autowah/envelope filter i used in the interlude not in the outro. i think he uses no effects for the outro. just uses a good bass and good equalizer settings i think. or perhaps an octaver (that lays octaves behind the notes?) or hall or something like that. hmm... ill just try. but thanx :)

12. I've never pulled this off myself, but I think it can be done.....
    If you're a Godlike Bass player

IN THEORY.
    Approaching the strings with an entirely open hand, coming down on the bass, your thumb goes down, to "slap" and you finger goes up, to pop at the same time.

I'm laughing too.

Next I'll tell you how aliens created our hair.....

Maybe It'll work???

R

13. mr.hankey

mr.hankey

Dec 24, 2002
    Netherlands
    Woah dude......rewind for a second.....

are you saying ALIENS created my funky 'fro?
    :eek:
    well, that would explain it... :D

anyhow...I saw Flea play PoE, and he really, really, really did NOT slap and pop at the same time....

back to the hair thing.....please enlighten us!
    :confused:

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    once ya get the hang of it, youll think its not as hard as ya thought

15. back to the hair thing.....please enlighten us!
    :confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

In a nutshell, it's a result of them trying to suck our brains out of our heads.......

I'm putting the coffee cup Down now.

:D
    R

16. mr.hankey

mr.hankey

Dec 24, 2002
    Netherlands
    Ahhhhh.....that explains my "hairstylist" Armand always waving this huge straw around behind my head....hmmm, I knew there was something fishy goin' down!

:eek: