Slap Scales?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FUNKIESTMUNK, Mar 27, 2001.

Feb 25, 2001
    Yes that's right another I can't slap thread. Only joking.... Anyway I love slapping but find my lines being based on octaves and sometimes fifths. I true to use as many different rythmic variations as possible while playing these notes but my slap lines all seem to be the same. Can anyone one suggest other combinations that sound good using slap, and any scales worth looking at.....

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can theoretically slap any note you can play pick or fingerstyle. There's no slap scale, like there isn't a funk or punk or metal scale!
    Try to work out slap lines that don't only have open strings, octaves and fifth's in them. Slap melodies and drum rhythms and incorporate them into your playing to get out of the rut.
  3. Like JMX said, slap should definitely not limit what scales you play.. though I would suggest the minor penatonic.. sure it's a bit cliche.. but I find that the penatonic can sound pretty nasty (nasty good!) when slapped.
  4. Slap bass and funk bass in general is more about rythem and locking in with the drums then it is about color and choice of notes. A lot of slap players keep it pretty basic (ie. root, fifth, seventh, octave) as far as note selection and know one notices because they sound so tight.

With that said, I would agree that the minor pentatonic is a good scale of choice. The major pentatonic is also a good choice if your in a major mode. I've also used the blues scale (minor pentatonic with a flat fifth added) with good results. :)
  5. you obviousley have the technique, the only advice, is keep relaxed( tension kills your playing.

and most importantly,

6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Diatonic (and all it's related modes)
    Pentatonic (major and minor)
    All Eastern Scales
    Harmonic Minor
    Melodic Minor

Um, I guess I'm saying, any scale.
  7. hey FM i am guessing by your name that you maybe into flea, try picking up one of Stanely Clarkes first disks if you don't own one. He proves that you don't have to just slap open stings.