1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

slap section of jerry was a race car driver?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bjornbass, May 27, 2005.

1. bjornbass

bjornbass

May 27, 2005
    Butt(e), MT
    Sorry I'm new here. I looked for the best forum and if this is the wrong forum then you have permission to beat me. Anyway hey guys I've been using this sight as a reference for about 3 years now and I finally got around to registering. Well anyway...

I've got the main tapping part of the song down and it would be awesome if someone could discern what the heck Les is slappin on the B string when it gets really heavy. Every tablature sight gives a different flippin riff and watching him wail on his fretless Thompson isn't exactly an eye opener. Right now I'm playin it on a four string with the E tuned to a B(I know I'm stupid so lay off :smug: ). By the way does he play any of the song on the C string. Anything is appreciated. :confused:

2. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    The trick to that part is to just try and make the bass sound like a car's motor, which I've done by doing slides on the top few strings. You then have to just throw in a few little runs where you bar three frets in a row in the higher register. If this is hard to understand it's because it is pretty much impossible to describe music through typing.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I thought the heavy part was in E... I dunno.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I thought the entire tapping portion of the song used the only the G and C strings?

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yes it is on the G and the C strings.

When he does the slapping part, I do E pulloff to Eb (5th to 4th fret) and then just slide randomly high up.

6. timo

timo

May 31, 2005
    Halifax, UK
    I play

s ss s s v ^ v ^
    C----------------14-14-16-16-
    G----------------14-14-16-16-
    D----------------12-12-14-14-
    A-----------------------------
    E-----------------------------
    B-8\5-x/10\5-5-5--------------

something along those lines. as long as theres 2 slides down to the E you should be fine.

I do it on my 6 with a cranked up big muff for a super fat sound. As it only goes down to an E it can be played on a standard tuned 4, but to do the tapping bit at 2:55 you need to hit a low B drone. Youll also get a thicker sound on the distorted bit if you downtune to B

Keep on rockin
    Timo