1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap Setup.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zxcvbs, Nov 4, 2013.

1. zxcvbs

zxcvbs

Mar 8, 2009
    Hi how do i setup the bass to play like this?

That bass is set to play like butter.
    What strings, how do i put the action so lower?
    Im trying to learn some Primus, but i realize that im tensing too much. With the current setup i cant get to make hammer on/pull offs sound like plucked notes.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but Years of dedicated practice.

3. zxcvbs

zxcvbs

Mar 8, 2009
    Yeah i know that is practice, but there is a mechanical difficulty to start with.

There are some slap chunks that i can play, like Tommy the Cat, My name is Mud, but im tensing too much, Les is like in the video, slightly touching, and relaxed.

I dont think that this tunes are gymnastics, because the more you stress the muscles, the worst the tone, precision .

One problem i have when i lower the action is that the bass frets start to buzz. The other is that this 5 string bass spacing, is a little harder for slap.

My bass is a Warwick Corvette $$, to get a a similar tone i set: blend turned to bridge pickup, and both switches in the middle as single coil.