Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap solo?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mixmasta J, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    ok I've searched this and Im not findin what I want so here it goes

last year I played trombone fro my jazz band. It was all good, I really wanted to play bass, but at the time I couldnt read sheet music so I was not up to it (Ive learned it now though :) )

So anyways, our bassist was rather flaky and quit, so I tried out and made the cut as the bassist. I was the only one who could play walking lines, read sheet music, and keep a rock, jazz, and funk beat (slap as well)

My band teacher was really impressed by my slapping, becasue the bassist before me always refused to try it. He wants me to play like that for funk, and do some soloing.......

Here lies the problem. As much as I can keep a groove down and do some cool slap stuff, I cannot seem to write a good slap solo. It always turns out being to slow and boring, or it turns into a line that I wrote before

So what Im asking: How do you write a fun slap solo, that doesnt sound half bad?

im sure that I can get away from soloing but Id like to express my skill

thanks--- Im so excited for school to start so that I can play bass, Ive wanted this for a long time!! wish me luck!

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Plug in, close your eyes, and hit record.

Just slap away, pluck things, anything. After you feel you're done
    go back and listen to the recording. You'll probably hear somethings you did that you like. Then, just go from there. The writing aspect, I can't help you with. I'm hopeless (Someone here will, guarenteed) But that's how I get started.

Mark Wilson

3. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    I recomende improvising with the band. Being in the moment always helps me to be crweative and also having the band playing around helps spark ideas so make sure your aware of whats happening around you and just let it come. Try learning some harder slapping songs by other players just to make sure your comfortable with it and to improve your level of playing ability(you should use songs that are gonna take practise to get right).

4. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    thats what I usually use.....Ive been looking at http://www.gazzbass.com for the technique aspect, but whatever I do seems to be so bland

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Try scat singing like you expect a cool slap solo to sound in your head. Record yourself making vocal noises in the style of a slapped bass and listen back to it for the rhythmic content, try to reproduce it on your bass.

While it's more difficult to approximate the pitches of notes while vocalizing you can always get the rhythmic cues from even the most off-pitch singing. It's easier to sing/vocalize new improvs in your head than it is to play it on your bass, so take the bass out of the equation, listen to the way your vocal solo sounds, then try to work that out on your bass.

6. I tend to keep root notes or at least a main rhytm and fill up the wazoo. My own way to do it...

7. guitar lines are the secret. pick out some of your favorite licks and lines. then practice them, break em down, speed em up. slow em down, take parts out, add parts in. just get creative and have fun.

8. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Taking you literally, my opinion is that you might be finding your solos 'boring' and not 'fun' *because* you're writing them. If you want get the funk happening you need to develop your confidence and abilities to improvise your solos. Cut loose with only a rough idea (or none!) of what you're going to play. Interact spontaneously with your drummer (and anyone else). You won't be bored or sound boring then. That's where the fun and the funk is. Watch out for using your solos to 'express your skill' too. Chops are great but demonstrations of technical ability get boring pretty fast. I bet you've heard some very technical guitarists who sound great for 5 minutes and after that they're boring? Bass is no different. Musical ideas and emotional expression are much more interesting. IMO.

9. TheParadigmX

TheParadigmX

May 2, 2005
    Montreal
    Be sure toi incorporate these:

-Octave Slap and Pop
    -Slap and Mute
    -play alot with the octaves
    -And try to add other things like tapping. A slap solo is good, but a versatile solo is better :smug:

10. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i couldnt of put it better, jamming with a drummer is always good for many differant things, especially one u no and u 2 r used to how each other play, i tend to have some trouble slap popin with drums becouse he cant seem to keep up with it, basicly if i'm wanting to slap pop off the top of my head when jamming i start with a catchy rythem slaping, the start adding hammer on's (poping) and more mutes and then build up and add octaves etc, and just do what comes to u once ur in the moment, and that kinda a thing works for me when trying to come up with a solo, not saying its for everyone but give it a shot mabe