Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap Songs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jacob Whitehead, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Jacob Whitehead

Jacob Whitehead

Feb 20, 2004
    Hi there

I'm new to this site and was wondering what some cool slap bass songs are. I've only been playing slap for 4 months so it would be better if the song suggestions weren't too technical.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

-Jacob :bassist:

2. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Hi,

For starter's Higher Ground by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is quite straight forward, its just octaves, it might take you a bit of time to get the pace right but its a great one to play along!!! :bassist:

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    my name is mud, brickhouse?, supafreak, etc

cant really think of any slap lines that aren't to difficult

pretty much any primus is relatively easy with practice except for a few exceptions.

what are you musical interests then we could help you more?

4. I second "My Name is Mud". That was the first song I learned to slap on.

5. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    RHCP

Aeroplane
    Can't Stop
    Higher Ground
    Soul To Squeeze (little bit of slap)
    Backwoods
    Get On Top
    Skinny Sweaty Man
    Black Eyed Blonde
    Coffee Shop

All pretty straight forward, I'll record them if you want any! Let me know by replying here mate!

Andy :)

6. Take the Power Back... or pretty much anything from Rage Against the Machines first album... not that much slap, but good basslines to know.

7. A good chunk of Primus stuff does require you to know the oft-mentioned-but-never-fully-explained "left hand slap" technique, which is a pain in the butt to coordinate with your right hand at high speeds, so it's not that easy.

However, if you're into Primus, a lot of their stuff is good for slapping, as well as some of Vic Wooten's solo pieces (U Can't Hold No Groove, Me and my Bass Guitar, Classical Thump) although they are bloody difficult.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    i said relatively...

some primus is very difficult, i.e. tommy the cat, among others. but most is odd sounding semi-difficult riffs. i mean semi-difficult in comparision to Jaco, Wooten, etc

also left hand slapping really isnt too hard, but is more of a practice thing.

if you practice it correctly you will get better, simple as that

9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin), from Sly and the Family Stone. Simple, but the key is to nail the feel of the song and get the people movin'! :)

10. "Shakey Ground" by the Tempations is also a good one. Great song. Great bass line. Hey, good to see another Jacob. :)

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    was watching Chappelle's Show, the Rick James Episode and made me think of Super Freak, really easy bassline from what i have heard

12. I'm Rick James!

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Charley Murphy. Everyone, darkness; darkness, everyone

14. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Take The Power Back - Rage Against The Machine

Nice easy slap song with a good groove, very easy to pick up and follow! Possibly the easiest slap song I know, with the exception of Jungle Man by RHCP.

Andy ;)

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Sure is... sure isn't slap though...

You guys gotta remeber, the kids lookin' for slap.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    RHCP - Jungle Man

It's easy, and sounds neat. Just a quick octave, a little tricky to finger with your left hand at first but it's really fluid once you get it down.

17. If you're feeling technical and you're into metal...go for Mudvayne.

Dig
    Internal Primates Forever
    Nothing To Gein....etc.

Ryan is such a beast. :bassist:

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The spinners - Rubberband man.