Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap Sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TriplePowerMax, Jul 27, 2005.

1. TriplePowerMax

TriplePowerMax

Jul 2, 2005
    Russia
    Which bassist have best slap sound? (your opinion)

2. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Marcus Miller. It's completely incomparable...most Bassists slap sounds sound thin and trebly. Victor Wooten could never get the sounds Marcus is getting because of the strings he's using...when you're slapping, always standards.

3. I quite like les claypools myself but I can see where you are coming from about Mr Miller.

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I agree about the Miller v Wooten comment. Victor Wooten's slap technique is not the funkiest b/c his pups are too sensitive, so he doesnt play as hard. I also think that the Marcus Miller bass is NOT the bass that he uses most often.

5. Vysous

Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    I agree! Marcus is also my favourite! Marcus has great tone, its because he just doesn't hurry when he plays, he lets every tone ring, yeah... And he uses Fender Jazz with DR strings.... Wooten's sound is much more "crap", and I don't like his slap sound...

6. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    I think "Crap" is a little harsh. Both Marcus and Victor are outstanding musicians and have found their own style and sound. That's probably why they (along with Jaco) are the most copied bass players.

There are aspect of both players I really like and if I could be half as good as either of them I'd be a proud lad.

What do you mean? His bass he uses is the modded 75 Jazz.

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I thought it was a 77.

8. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    My Bad, spot on James

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    One more vote for Marcus Miller for having the best slap sound.

10. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    Finland
    Louis Johnson's slap sound! :hyper:

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    beat me to it... I also like Stanley and Mark King's slap tone as well.

12. I think Stanley has the best. I love his sound, especially on the School Days album, with the tremolo. SO cool.

13. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Fieldy!

14. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    ^^I do sincerely hope you're joking.

I like Stanley's slap sound, but it's too thin...he made a mistake playing a neck thru bass.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    marcus miller

16. I 2nd that.

17. I definately vote for Marcus Miller, his tone just blows me away. Even non-bassists I know say "How does he get his bass to sound so clear? Bass is usually just thump thump thump."

18. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    So is it his DR's that give him the clarity or is it his pre-amp? :ninja:

19. Marcus Miller has great tone for those groovy songs. I personally really dig Vic's tone, though.

Heheh, reminds me of a time I went to a music store and asked one of the bassist guys who works there how to get a tone more like Marcus Miller. He responded: "Well, then get a Marcus Miller signature bass." Not exactly the most inexpensive answer I was looking for. :)

20. WJF

WJF

Aug 1, 2005
    Jonas Hellborg, anyone? :)