Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slap stopping bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by I.M. Noone, Jan 20, 2006.

1. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    My Univox Hi-Flyer plays pretty well as-is, the new DR strings (105s) have a great piano-like tone when played open, but when fretted, I get a lot of fret noise and a very 'slappy' sort of tone, tho much less than when I had boomers on it. I'm thinking of replacing the very flimsy bridge with a big hipshot bridge in the hopes of taming some of that awful nasal tone....am I deluding myself? :confused:

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Sounds like the tension changed with the different strings. You probably ought to make sure the bass is set up correctly before you started changing out parts.

3. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    It slapped really bad before and STILL does it, even after adjusting the neck and height for the slightly smaller gauge new strings.

4. If you adjusted your saddles for a smaller gauge string, you messed up what was otherwise a good setup. You don't change the saddle height simply because of a smaller diameter string. If you think about it, a large guage string and a small gauge string will rest on the saddles exactly the same. No matter how big or small the string is, the saddle will only come in contact with the bottom of the strings and if the saddle isn't moved, both strings stay at the same height. There is a difference in the string's HEIGHT above the saddle but no difference below.

Now, this is not to say that a relief adjustment and some saddle moving might be needed with lighter gauge strings. It just might, but it's not the gauge per se that causes the need, it's the strings tension and that can be the same in two strings of different gauge and different construction.

5. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    Thanks Hambone. I've gone back over it and got it set up pretty well again. I'm still trying to determine if I should consider dropping a heftier bridge on there to replace the notoriously flimsy original one to improve the tone somewhat or if that may not add much to the equation on a short-scale bass.