1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slap Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bskts247, Oct 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Ok so I need a set of "slap" strings for my plywood bass. I've read all the threads but can someone let me know what to get (because my zyex won't work).

I got called to play a show of old rock music (early elvis/johnny cash). I'll be using my plywood bass so I want a set of "gut like" strings. I would just play guts but I'd be worried about the tuning issues. What should I look at from the following:

Evah Slap synthetic: I really hated the E string on this set when I had them on the plywood before. Maybe its what I'm looking for now?

Innovation Super Silver, Silver Slap, Goldenslap? Any difference in these? Or any other innovation string to try?

I will be doing no arco as far as I've been told. If by chance I do need to do arco I think I'll just go with evah slap right?

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Rotos.

JeffKissell and bskts247 like this.
  3. bskts247

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
  4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Yeah. You can slap them, they're cheap, sound pretty good, and they last forever.

Youngspanion and bskts247 like this.
  5. bskts247

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Pizz is ok too? Good note definition? I'll probably settle on these then. I don't wanna go down that rabbit hole. I just decided to stick with spiros haha

Steve Boisen likes this.
  6. bskts247

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Help no longer needed. I listened to the musicals album (Its the musical Million Dollar Quartet) and some samples of the rotosound strings and decided they were good enough. I'll throw them on my plywood and be done with them. Thanks @KUNGfuSHERIFF. Its also good because i don't need to open the bridge or nut up. The bass was cut for red dimond D/G and evah slap E/A so the Roto's will fit nicely.

Steve Boisen and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  7. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    My biggest complaint about rotos is the size. I've just always played thicker strings and (for me) the G can be a little hard to catch if you're going fast

Youngspanion likes this.
  8. neddyrow

neddyrow Support Staff for My Better Half Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i want to dispel the myth that gut strings don't stay in tune. THEY DO!!!!

i have been playing gut strings for 7 years and never had tuning issues. winter, spring summer or fall. never a problem.

and to answer your question - i play lenzners - wrapped gut E/A and plain D and G on my backup bass. on my main player, i play red-o-ray D and G (tynex wrapped) and Evah mediums E/A - not gut but better than innovations IMO

9. bskts247

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    You think the G is too thin?

Amazingly @Mark Gollihur had them shipped early this morning. Great customer service I gotta say.

I'll give them a go. The 2 reasons for not wanting guts is I can't afford them right now (rotos being $125 was an easy choice) and the concept of them not behaving down in new orleans is not worth it to me on a gig like this. I hear reports of guts not staying in tune at bar gigs in the city, im not taking that risk.

Some people like the rotos, some people don't like the rotos. I trust @KUNGfuSHERIFF even though he swears by "spiros, flexocore, or gut".

I'll let yall know how it goes. Any tips on slapping?

JeffKissell and Mark Gollihur like this.
  10. I'm glad that you've never had tuning issues but the idea of gut strings going out of tune being a myth is ridiculous, it's a well documented aspect of playing those strings

Steve Boisen and bskts247 like this.
  11. But still I would say that plain guts (which I play) are not that bad. Anyway, a bit surprised that anyone would call the Rotosound G thin.

12. neddyrow

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    do you have gut strings on your bass?

when and where do you have tuning issues?

13. I don't have them on now but did for a long time, and i had tuning issues when the strings either warmed up or cooled down, due to playing and/or atmospheric conditions. But don't make this about my experience only, again this is a well documented aspect of playing gut strings

Fretless55 and JeffKissell like this.
  14. KUNGfuSHERIFF

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    I have NOS plain gut on my King and the tuning wanders all over the place. I know it's not the bass.

15. neddyrow

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    ouch....

i was just asking a question.

curious as to why i have had so few problems.

seems that newer guts are more stable than older versions

and what is the string length on your king? could it be that many kings have a longer string length? my old king was 43"!

16. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    To clarify, I'm talking about string diameter, not tone. I've played mostly guts and between the diameter and smoothness of the roto G, I have a hard time nailing faster stuff like throwing a heel drag at the end of a fast run.

17. Sorry about that, my mistake. As to why you're not having those issues, I don't know

18. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    @bskts247 This thread has my review of the Rotosound RS4000 set along with a video of me playing slap style on them which I'll repost here. I liked these strings better than the Innovation Golden Slaps that are currently on one of my basses. I thought the Rotosound strings worked fine for regular jazz pizz too, with a gut-like flavor to them. I don't think any of the low-tension synthetic strings (Silver/Golden Slaps, Rotosound, Eurosonic, Evah Slap synthetic) sound quite as good as gut, but they have their advantages including low maintenance in high humidity regions like Florida...and New Orleans.

- Steve

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Reiska likes this.
  19. bskts247

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I saw that! I'll see how they are on my bass. I think unless they're HORRIBLE I'll stick with them. I can't be tuning after every song during a musical and thats why I'd move away from guts.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  20. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Here's my guess:
    • You'll find them sort of tricky to install with their strange metal loops and extra-long length.
    • They will be stretchy, more so than other synthetic strings, but after a few days you'll find the tuning to be stable.
    • You won't like the E & A much at first, but this set was designed decades ago (mid 60's I believe) as an alternative for bassists accustomed to using a complete set of gut strings with a wound E & A. The lower strings do offer better pitch definition than an all-synthetic string.
    I actually considered pairing the Rotosound D & G with an Evah Slaps E & A, but that would go against my arbitrary and self-imposed no-mixing strings policy. For what it's worth, I'm sticking with Spirocores on my main bass.

- Steve