Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassmouse85, Jul 20, 2000.

1. Bassmouse85

Bassmouse85

Jul 10, 2000
    Hey.I just got a new fender p-bass.(I only had a Jazz bass before) I bought it cuz i (hence the name)only played jazz before. I wanna know the BEST slap bass strings i can buy. Thanx

2. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    what do you mean by slap strings? you can slap on any kind of strings, if you mean strings with the best slap sound than go with anything that's new, if you mean the brand of strings with the best (and longest lasting) "slap" than go with GHS boomers

3. the stalker

the stalker

Jul 23, 2000
    the Jazz bass is better for slap on that you should use GHS boomer for the best slapping sound

Andi bliss likes this.
  4. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I use only two kind of strings. GHS Boomers as mentioned abowe, are good quality strings but EBS northern light strings are at least as good as boomers. A lot brighter actually and they have more of that slap "snap". When people try out my basses they always comment on the weird feeling strings in the beginning (if I happen to have EBS strings instead of boomers) but soon add that those strings are actually pretty damn good. But it's also easy to believe that somepeople can dislike these strings. Boomers are a safe choice.

5. I think this is a better answer for your question.You must use ''roundwound'' strings for brighter,so better slap,sound.
    There so many brands producing this kind of strings.As mentioned Ghs is pretty cool.Also ernie ball is fine.Its better for you to try yourself to decide the brand.
    And for slap,playing funk style,it is better to use lihgter gauges like 95 or 100.

6. rapido

rapido

Aug 9, 2005
    What about DR Lo-riders? I just read allover the net that are the best possible strings made on this planet. Lo-riders are strickly for slap, pop and tap. I don't think that you need lighter gauges.
    If you can play on 50-110 do it. You get more sound of them and i know a lot of artists who use heavier gauges (Wojtek Pilichowski).
    Please tell me if i'm wrong.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry Onur, but I completely disagree that you need to use rounds for a good slap sound. While rounds are the accepted standard, let's not forget that Larry Graham slaps flats on a ton of his stuff with Sly and Graham Central Station, and he's the one who invented it. Also, there was a lot of great 70's funk done with flats. I have flats on my P copy and I'm actually to the point of preferring it for slapping. You don't get that high end twang like rounds, but I actually don't like that sound anymore to the point that I don't slap on my basses with rounds anymore except in rare cases.

8. rapido

rapido

Aug 9, 2005
    So you agree with the DR strings or not. you can buy Sunbeam Nickel Plated Round Core Bass strings they are round. But Lo-Rider stainless steel bass strings are round wound and constructed upon a hexagonal core (http://www.drstrings.com/LoRider1.htm) - read what do they have to say.
    I am going to buy 5 packs of DR from USA so i have to know what to buy.
    Tell me if they are right.

9. rapido

rapido

Aug 9, 2005
    one more thing:
    Did you try DR strings yet?
    and
    What is better Steel or Nickel?

10. Stick with your J-bass for slapping... but if you really like the P-bass slap tone, I'd say try out some of those new DR colored strings (Red Devils, Black Beauties, etc.). The sunbeams are extremely bright and great for slapping, but they die very fast. If you can afford it, check out Elixirs, too.

11. Hey everyone, check out my comparitive review of about 5 strings under "Growly Nickels?" - I put some effort into it, but noticed not too many people checking it out.

But for slap... um... Labella Slappers!!!

12. guilty lemon

guilty lemon

Apr 13, 2007
    I just tried Elixir nano web on my J bass ... they last extremly long but the sound is not so great ... what ca you recomend me for slapp

13. TomBoyd

TomBoyd

Apr 13, 2007
    I think the 'Flea Signature' Bass Boomers are a great set of strings for slap.

They are Nickel-plated steel wrap and Stainless steel/nickel plate wrap on the low E for added power.
    Due to the steel on the E string it is really heavy and has a good solid tone.

I have these on my Bass and love em!

14. I generally don't like slap, because it sounds tinny and typicaly an anoying pizzle of a sound, however, generally speaking of course, the slap sounds I like are done on flats.

unprecedentedmp likes this.
  15. Ah yes, and on a p-bass as well.

16. Many players have favorite BRANDS of strings. Some work better for some players than others. ( I for one can kill a set of Boomers in about thirty minutes of playing. ) They just don't work for me. Someone mentioned EBS strings....the reason those are brighter is because they're stainless steel. In my humble opinion stainless steel gives the "best" slap tone. They also react better with your pickups (more output) and seem to last longer than nickel.

17. Koki

Koki

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    GHS boomer yes they are great for slap. Now I switched to d'addario. They are the almost the same or even better, and they last long, longer than boomers and they are cheaper

18. TomBoyd

TomBoyd

Apr 13, 2007
    I have reviewed the Bass Boomer string I have you can check that review out here

19. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004
    IMO, there are no "best" strings for slapping; just as there is no one "best" slap sound.

It really depends on what sound one is trying to achieve and what works best for them.

In the past, for slap, I prefered Ken Smiths or if I couldn't get those Ernie Ball Slinky's.

20. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Generally, you want something bright with a lot of attack. That would be a roundwound stainless steel string.