Slap-style rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ewo, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I'm saving up the bucks to buy an amp good for slap playing, and would appreciate your suggestions. I tried a new SWR Redhead at my local music store--but I figure I should scope out alternatives before I drop the dough.

Your thoughts on good quality/high value cabs and amps? (I'm using fretted MTD import basses, 4 and 5 string.) And any comments you have on speaker sizes and cab configurations are helpful, too.

Thanks. :)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'd probably go with 10's for slapping, but I believe that you should be able to use any amp/cab for anything, and if you can't, it's not the rig's fault. I regularly slap on 15"s and I love it. I greatly prefer an old school slap sound without all that scooping and overly done treble, but if you like it, I'd suggest getting a cab with a tweeter.

3. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    +1. I know it's mine. :help:

4. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    +1 on the 10's. As for amps, GK and Trace Elliot would be my top recommendations (for a modern, crisp slap tone), although as JimmyM said any rig will work, just might not give you the exact tone you're looking for. Markbass would be worth a look as well.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll just agree with everything said, so far. 10's, a clean SS amp, etc etc..

6. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    +1 to all this:bassist:

7. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    I get fantastic slap tone from my Genz Benz 750 and a EPI 410UL(1) cab,very percussive amp IMO.

Mainly Skjold bass but others I've tried also sound great.

I have also owned EBS gear which is brilliant for slap.

8. I think KJung's opinions on this would be something you'll find interesting and can archive. IIRC, he uses a MarkBass F-1 with one of the Berg 410s. He'll correct me if I am wrong I hope.

Edit: The guy has tried lots of rigs, and plays the style you mention.

9. phil jones bass amps are crazy good if you ask me. slightly quieter than an their off-the-shelf speaker cousins, i must say the science and the sound quality prove the multiple 5" driver 'theory'.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021