Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap style with a pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

I mentioned this is another forum and nobody responded so....

When Scott Thunes was playing with Zappa he played a lot with a pick. On one tune "Trouble every day" he had this great technique of playing typical slap style but every low note that would ussually be Thumpted he would play with the pick. then the higher notes got snaped in typical style (cept he would use his index finger) the result was a very aggressive clear thumps the tecnique sounded great in large rock venues.

Ive never seen any one else do this have you?

AJ

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, but I haven't seen anybody else break a heavy E string after the first 3 or 4 bars of a concert either :D
    Happened at a gig of the Steve Vai Sex & Religion tour in Bremen.
    The roadie changed strings while Scott continued playing - amazing... :D

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have been using a technique where I utilise thumping,tapping,plucking,slapping,and picking while holding a pick between my finger closest to my thumb and my ring finger for a while now.

4. There was a Zappa bassist--I'm not sure if it was Thunes or not--who would palm a pick with his ring and pinky fingers while playing conventional fingerstyle with his index and middle. Presumably, he could have slapped and popped. I'd do something like that, but I use a three-finger technique and it's very difficult to palm a pick with just your pinky.

5. I remember, the guitarist from the last band I was in doing it, back in the days when i couldnt slap. Damn him.

sim

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Levi Seacer did a little of that with Prince.

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    You guys probally figured this out but I meant hed pop with his MIDDLE finger.

Cristopher , what era of prince is Levi from? is there any recorded tunes where this is clear?

AJ

8. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    Andrew:

On the video "Does Humor Belong in Music", Thunes plays slap style during the middle part of "Keep it Greasy" while keeping his pick tucked between palm and ring finger. He then pops it back out to play the rest of the song.

I like to pop an occasional accent note or two with my middle finger on the G and C strings when playing with a pick. I don't know if you would call that slap, really, but it sounds good and is different.

DK

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Andrew, Prince did an amazing concert video of "Sign O The Times" that has all the members of the band contributing solos to a version of Charlie Parker's "Now's The Time." Seacer does some interesting slap-sounding bebop stuff with a pick for his break.

There's also a little bit on "Alphabet Street," though unfortunately to you have to put up with some of Cat's rapping get through that track.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Doobenhien

On trouble every day (thats on the vid right) hes uses the technique Im describing right? I know he can slap normally:) the man can play!

Its not really the technique im labeling slap its more the rhythms and the style (like those octave on "trouble"

Wait, I think I just heard you are you saying he could be tucking the pick for just those phrases where he pops some notes? the switchin right back?

AJ

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Cristopher

that vidio is crazy that era of prince stuff was great I havent seen it in along long time ( but I do remember the great version of forever in my life) gonna have to see that agian soon

AJ

12. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    AJ wrote:

As I remember it yes. He pops a lot of notes like that all through the video.

In "Trouble Every Day" I don't think he ever tucks his pick. He just pops with his middle finger.

In "Keep it Greasy", he switches to straight slap style while tucking his pick, and the next time you see him (the downward chromatic sounding riff after the lyric "from the north") he's using the pick again. I have to watch that video again for the exact sequence.

The guy's real versatile. I think he's one of the more underrated bassists around.

Like I said in another thread, Frank didn't hire no slouches.

DK

13. notnuffsleep

notnuffsleep Guest

Jun 5, 2002
    San Dimas CA
    they have these picks that wrap around your thumb that you can buy at any music shop. you can close up your hand and play as though you're picking, and then open up your hand to pop with any finger.

14. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    I've seen those picks -- they are for banjo, folk guitar, and the like. They also have picks for the fingers for banjo. I might get one and try putting it on my first finger to use like a pick, leaving my thumb and middle finger to slap/pop with.

How many ways to play the bass?????

DK