slap/tap/funk claypool/dirk lance strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ryan morris, Oct 10, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    well, i'm lookin' for some strings to put on my bass that would give me a good low end when slappin' and tappin'. i just don't want all mid soundin'. i don't really want much sustain. the less the better. as far as high end goes, i don't like strings that are overly bright, but they def. can't be dull. i was thinkin' i could just go ahead and try the les thing and do the two A strings and two G's. this would give me some great comfort for the songs, and i like the sound of smaller strings, i think. would Dean Markley be a comfortable pair to try? any better suggestions. thanks, ryan
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I wouldn't suggest the Claypool string thing. Because the E and the D will have almost no tension, you'll get two well defined strings, and two flabby undefined strings. Very loose strings isn't what you want for slapping or tapping. IIRC, Claypool stopped stringing his basses like that years ago.

I suggest getting some D'addario Slowounds. Not Super Bright, but not super dull, either, and sound fresh from the package for months. Great nickel strings.