1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slap technic finally insteresting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Clef_de_fa, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    It took a guitar player to make slap interesting instead of a that stupid Emin pentatonic slap style that everyone do on bass ... a little creativity doesn't kill folks ... on top of using quite advanced tech on a shagging guitar ...

saltydude likes this.
  2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    LOL! Did you really just diss folks for playing Em pentatonic, and then spooge all over a video of a guy playing a two note riff consisting of I-V?!?! smh

saltydude and Snaxster like this.
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah... but he does it with his thumb!!!
    Bass players haven't figured out that trick, yet.

saltydude and Snaxster like this.
  4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    First off, this video is about double thumbing, not slap.

Next, this guy leads with grossly negligent misinformation; or maybe he's just lazy. Saying "I'm pretty sure" doesn't excuse him from researching the origin of bass guitar double thumbing technique before making a soft claim about it. Not a good start.

Twice ever I saw Graham Central Station perform. The first time was back when, as a kid, in a big venue. The second was many years later, up close in a club. By then I was a bassist of some years, and at that second show I noticed immediately that Larry Graham was double thumbing along with slap and other techniques. So I attribute the likely origin of the technique to him. If so, then Graham is the father of both slap and double thumbing. My belief is that to him they were part of a single technique.

Then there was the great Doug Rauch. He left the world much too soon, but not before becoming a ferocious double thumbing bass guitarist more than a decade before Victor Wooten refined the technique to impossible heights. In the contemporary sense of what the technique is, Rauch was the originator.

"Guys like Victor Wooten and Marcus Miller use up and down thumb technique now, but it’s notable that Doug was using a version of this as early as 1971. His technique is impressive but it’s the sheer life affirming energy and joy of his playing that always grabs me."

― from What Doug Did: A Retrospective on Doug Rauch

Doug Rauch.

Doug Rauch double thumbing, with Santana and McLaughlin in 1973

Les Fret, saltydude and Mushroo like this.
  5. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    The OP has delivered facepalm many times here for me. This is another classic.

Snaxster and saltydude like this.
  6. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My thumb cannot bend anywhere close to that much. Was he born with that thumb? Has he been taking thumb-enhancing drugs? Was there surgical modification involved? Is this a spontaneous mutation? This video raises more questions than it answers.

Rumbles and Seanto like this.