1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap technique Marcelo Feldman??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Jul 5, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl Banned

Oct 30, 2013
    OK. I am back playing bass over a 40 year lay off. Needles to say slap technique wasn't part of my arsenal.

A while back I had my first slap lesson with someone who's fairly active playing bass in this area. This guy taught himself slap, and by his own admission can only teach the fundamentals.

After one lesson I nearly gave up because I couldn't strike a note with my thumb without hitting at least string beside the one I was trying to strike. Then I watched a Buny Brunel video instructing to "strike through the string & have the thumb come to rest on the string below it" and bingo! What a difference.

Obviously the guy I took that lesson with is fired. I am going to have to learn this thing long distance through the internet, starting with Brunel's. He is very thorough & articulate (when his instructions are in English).

I came across Marcellus Feldman demonstrating how to play some Marcus Miller tunes. He made them look so easy. Unfortunately I couldn't capture them on YTD so I can't view them at home (as there's no DSL where I live & the one available WiFi co. gauges for equipment). I noticed that Feldman also has a slap instruction course with DVDs for 80 bucks. I messaged him on Facebook to see if those Marcus Miller videos are include with his slap course. No answer. Anybody know anything about his course?

2. Hi lovethegrowl,

I never saw your Facebook message... sorry about that. You are absolutely right about striking through the string with your thumb. You want to keep your thumb parallel to the string, not down. I talk about this on this video:

The Marcus Miller videos are not a part of the course, but I can include those with it for you.

Let me know if you have anymore questions! :)

Best,

Marc