Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap thud

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sascrotch, May 4, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I finally learned, i think, the technique for slapping, so no more posts asking you guys to teach me. Anyways, i hit my thumb on the fret wire and it makes a thud sound, even if i go up and down the neck with my left hand it still makes the same thud noise. Anyone know whats wrong?

BTW, i have a Fender American Standard P-Bass if that helps

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Sounds like really dead strings to me.

3. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Maybe its my technique, do you tap the string on the fret wire or do you only brush the string while pushing down?

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...is your thumb bouncing off the string?

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    If you are having trouble, I recommend taking alook at Victor Wooton's video "Super Bass Solo Technique" Atoss 1993. He describes and demonstrates a style where you come down and up. But it's like whistling or wiggling your ears. Very hard to communicate. I'd advise you to relax more and pivot around an axis of your pointer finger. Use your middle finger for pops.

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    When i played someone's bass with 2 year old strings that's exactly how it responded to slapping. sounded like i was playing rubber bands on a tin bass.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you're slapping the conventional, non-Wooten way, let your thumb bounce off of the string immediately after it makes contact. Your thumb shouldn't be pushing the string onto the fretwire; instead, your thumb should be hitting the string so that the string travels far enough to hit the fretwire on its own.

8. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Ok i figured out the problem. Im trying to slap and pluck, but when i pluck i leave my thumb on the string till im dont plucking. Anyone know a way to help me stop doing this? Its more of that after i slap i have to look and see where my other finger is and place it under the string and pluck. Kinda hard to explain.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Again, You can either bounce off or follow through. If you are just learning this, I'd recommend following through. It can be a little more touchy at first, but it sets your fingers in a better position to play faster.

10. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    ok im guessing following through is resting your thumb on the string below the string your slapping on right?

[edit] Little tricky but i got it

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The great part is, once you've followed through, you can pull back up hitting the string you just came down on by using the top of your thumb on the way up. You do it reflexively and it can be really fast. Practice scales like this. It's almost like pickwork. Once you have that down, use your index finger to pop upward right after the thumb comes up, you can do really fast tripling after a while, or add 1/32 accents on a different note.

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Your range of motion should be in a down stroke. Don't just slap the string in a straight on manner but almost as if you are using a pick. This will help the note ring more clearly.