1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slap (Thumb or Wrist)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Afrokid, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Afrokid

Afrokid

Nov 24, 2006
    When you slap am i going to be using my wrist to do the movement and use its momementum to slap my thumb against the string or do i use my thumb for the entire slapping process while limiting wrist movement?

2. josephag

josephag

Oct 8, 2008
    I don't know if its personal preference or if everybody else does it, but i tend to keep my thumb pretty stiff and completely use my wrist for the slap action.
    Do whatever feels comfortable and gets results really, everybody has their own way.

3. bearshimmy

bearshimmy

Feb 14, 2005
    it feels more natural to lock the thumb and use the wrist, when you get into double thumbing you can use thumb motion in combination with wrist motion.

4. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    or... the forearm
    heck or slap with all of your fingers.
    personally I'm under the impression that each one gives a different type of sound at different angles, I say throw all of them at the wall and see what sticks.

5. lock the wrist- and envision the arm from wrist to elbow as a cylinder and rotate around the axis. i was taught to keep the thumb loose- and with other techniques (even double thumbing)- i find looser to be more consistent and natural.

6. What tool said. Your wrist can't actually rotate-it's your whole forearm, all the way to your elbow. Lock the wrist(no bending), yes, but don't tighten up.

7. oh- and another thing to consider for the future- whenever you are learning something new thats physically demanding- play around and see which position uses the largest muscle groups- itll help. i also see tons of bass players playing fingerstyle with the forearm resting on the bass- wrist bent- all that. i know we all have our own style- but it just seems like a bent wrist would result in more ligament/nerve strain- and possibly lead you towards carpal tunnel. breaking multi-year habits is difficult- trust me- so start off right (which is why you posted posted in the first place i guess- so- nothing you dont know).