Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap tone from old Fender Jazz sounds funny - normal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowbass, Dec 30, 2002.

1. lowbass

lowbass

May 4, 2002
    Singapore
    Hi,

I got a Fender Jazz via a trade of equipment. Not sure about its date though, but it looks old. It has a replacement maple neck, and fitted with Basslines pickups. Otherwise everything else looks stock.

When I first got it, the E and G strings sounded weak, so I put on new DR Hi-Beams, adjusted the bridge a little. Now, the A, D, G feels tight. E string does feel a little floppy. The action looks alright, though it can be lower a bit further.

Now, I tried playing it finger-style, good and clear sound. But the slap tone is just not happening compared to my other 2 basses. I checked the bridge pickup, and it has a 2B label under it. According to the basslines website, this is a Distortion Parallel Axis. What does that do?

Is this normal? If not, what else should I look into to improve the situation?

Thanks for any info.

2. It can't be a Parallel Axis Distortion - that's a guitar pickup. Judging by the 2b, I'd say you might have the SD Hot pickup in there.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, it aint no Parallel Axis Distortion....... you SURE it's a bass?;) Probly another pickup maker.

4. lowbass

lowbass

May 4, 2002
    Singapore
    Ah I see how you reach the SD Hot pickup portion...

So ok, I took a look at the neck pickup and the label underneath says 2NR. Oh no, I cannot associate that to anything on the website.

Maybe I do have guitar parts on a bass huh? :eek: Slap does sound funny on an electric guitar.

5. The N designates that it's a Neck pickup. The R *might* mean reverse wound. Ask at the Duncan forums. They're helpful there.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How does the bass sound unplugged. If it sounds fine, it might just be a crappy set of pickups, if not, maybe the bass isn't as good as could be. :(

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Unless I missed something, you didn't mention what woods were used in the construction of your bass. If you have an alder body/rosewood fingerboard jazz, it won't sound like a modern bass that was constructed with funky hardwoods and active electronics. It will sound more like the bass tones from Sly & the Family Stone records. If your bass has an ash body and maple fingerboard neck, you might be able to better approximate a "modern" slap tone, but overall, the tone will still be a bit more subdued. The amp you use will also contribute to the overall quality of your slap tone. Overall, if you're trying to get the sound of a Ken Smith, MTD, Warwick, etc. out of an old Jazz Bass, it just won't work. You're best to stick to digits one and two and just leave the thumb out of it! ;)

8. lowbass

lowbass

May 4, 2002
    Singapore
    Just tried unplugged, the fingerstyle tone is good, the slap tone is not fantastic though. BTW, I compared this to my other 4-strings bass, namely a Jeff Berlin with Barts and Badass II bridge. That bass is really responsive. The other bass I have is a MM SR5.

So if the pickups are ok, then maybe the Fender bridge is at fault as slap is a more "violent" action.

Now I have never owned a Fender Jazz bass before, so I don't know what to expect. The Fender basses that are in music shops here are so badly setup (or rather lack of it) that they sounded really bad.

But cool, I gathered that this is indeed not the best it can be.

9. lowbass

lowbass

May 4, 2002
    Singapore
    Wow... this opens up more possibilities. Not sure about the body (probably alder as the exposed areas are brown), the fingerboard is maple.

But I do see the above are good reasons to own different basses :p

10. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    A Jazz will sound good no matter if it is rosewood/alder or maple/ash. If the setup is ok, I'd blame the woods, especially the replacement neck.