Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap Tone & my Modulus Q6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Feb 5, 2005.

1. I have a question. Here is my Q6:
    [​IMG]

I LOVE this bass. Ive had this bass since 1996. Someone custom ordered it but never picked it up. The is one of the only ones I have seen with the pickup configuration how it is. While it sounds GREAT for fingerstyle, I feel like it lacks on the slap sound. While its clear, it lacks punch.

Now, these are the options I am looking at:

1. First, what are your opinions on getting another pickup installed right behind the neck? I think this would fix the sound a bit, BUT (For my taste) I think it would look ugly.

2. Getting a modulus neck with a wooden fret board. Would this help at all?

3. Getting another nice bass for slap.. Only problem with this option is the price and the fact I would have to switch basses if I wanted a good slap tone.

Any suggestions???

2. I wouldn't change the bass if you love it's fingerstyle tone. If you've found a tone you love then don't do anything to change it. Look into getting a second bass. Doesn't have to be a ton of money to get a good tone.

3. Yeah, thats what I was thinking.. I have a couple SX basses that I play slap on.. While they are GREAT basses for the money, the modulus spoiled me. Its kinda going from a cadillac to a chevette.

4. Haha, yeah, I could imagine. That's a great looking bass!

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey man. That pickup combo was the old Modulus "turbo" option. Kai Eckhart used to use a couple of Modulus basses like that. He sounded great but his pickups were EMG's and he had a Demeter preamp. My suggestion would be to replace the preamp (I assume it's a Bartolini) with either a Demeter, for a clear punchy sound, or a Sadowsky (or Aguilar or Pensa...) two band preamp for a really big, full fat sound that cuts. I just played a Sadowsky modern 5 with a similar pickup configuration today. It sounded huge. I then plugged my passive Roscoe 6 string into an outboard Sadowsky preamp (The Roscoe also has a similar pickup placement with Barts) and that was an incredible sound. I guess my point is that a new preamp will alleviate the problem that you're having, guarenteed.

6. Are there any options "out side of the bass" as far as preamps? I really dont want to jack around with the electronics in the bass. I really just want to thicken it up and make it punchier for slap..

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah man. In that case just get a Sadowsky outboard preamp and you can kick it on with your foot when you want a slap sound. Problem solved.

8. Right on.. I'll have to check one out.. I just bought a Digitech Bass Synth Wah to play with. I shouldve got the preamp first. But, there is always next weeks pay check.

I just wish someone made a great rack amount effects processor with a kick a$$ preamp (that wont empty my pocket book)

9. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    That is a great bass man, I would just get another bass and make that bass the finger funkster. I have a few basses that are just slappers and others that are for more traditional tones.

10. I heard that F Basses are among the best sixers, because they are vey good for fingerstyle and the C string is unique because it's well balanced compare to other basses, and the better one when you slap it!!!
    Just noises....

Vince

11. Im going to pop some new pickups in my SJ ash/maple jazz eventually and see if I cant turn that into my slap bass.

I just didnt know if it was worth putting another pickup in that Modulus or not.. It was an idea, but I dont think I would do it.

On another note, did they sell alot of the "turbo" optioned Modulus basses?? I wonder what the build numbers were for them..

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I sold my Modulus Quantum (2004 Q5 with EMG's) Agree, it had great fingerstyle tone and punch, but the slap tone was always sterile sounding a little thin to my ears.

I now own two F Bass BN5's and I'll never look back. Love them for both Fingerstyle and Slap tone.

13. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    Danyel Morgan of Robert Randolph and the Family Band (my fav.) uses a Modulus Q6 with a graphite neck, chechen fingerboard, Bartolini pups and preamp and ghs boomers and he has the most incredible slap tone ever :)