1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap Tone on Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Manol, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey guys,

I just CANT seem to get a good slap tone out of my Geddy, I can get everything else out of it, except a good slap tone.

Is it the pickups or what?

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Thanks
    Manol

2. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Is it even possible not to get a good slap tone out of a Geddy? Try changing your strings maybe. It could just be the way you play too. The slap tone on my Geddy is the best sound I can get outta 'er.

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    What strings are you using? How do you set the controls when you slap?

4. Stainless strings and you should be fine.

My Geddy has a great slap tone. Then again the whole tone thing is subjective...

5. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    I generally set the controls to middle setting or 3/4 both equal. And the tone control about 3/4 full.
    Im using DR Lo-Riders.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Get new strings and either set your bass up or have it set up. When you get it back, turn everything on full.

7. steve_man

steve_man Supporting Member

May 15, 2002
    I second that notion! The way you play is very important too.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    My Geddy's slap tone is right up there with the best of'em, so it's not the bass itself. Lotsa' good suggestions so far... can't think of anything to add other than further reassurance the instrument is good for it.

9. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Your action might be too high too, which can make slapping sound choked.

10. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    OK, This either leads to Im ****ty, OR, I have soemthing EQ'ed wrong. It just sounds really flat when I slap and pop.

Would someone mind recording them slapping on the Geddy and then telling me control configs, because then I can determine if I need to work on my slapping or I have something wrong.

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well first, I hope you don't really take it that way, and even if someone has technique advice, I wouldn't recommend starting from a "negative" like that. I'm sure you're a great bass player, and the fact that you even care to perfect this is evidence that even if you aren't yet, you will be.

However, all that said, I'm not a very good slapper, tho I know what good slap tone is, and I don't have any problem getting it (tho getting a great grooving slap line outa' me is another story :)), so I'm gonna' guess it's more along the lines of strings/eq type stuff.