slap tone problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by warwickben, Mar 16, 2002.

1. i wasn't sure were to post this but o well.i have a warwick Corvette Standard,a carvin 100 watt 15 inch comno and a mater what i do i cant get a good slap tone.
  2. and HOW and WHERE on the fretboard do you slap ?
  3. i slap around the 22fret to 24fret.i have the stock pickups in it. i just want to know how to get a good slap sound out of this bass i can get a good slap tone out of all my basses but this one
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Maybe ya need some new strings? Maybe a lighter guage too? I have a corvette standard (active) and it's got a great slapping tone.
  5. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The Warwick Corvette Standard is a funk machine! I wasn't thrilled with the Mec pickups...too open I opted for EMG J's with a BQC onboard pre-amp. If you don't want to hassle with replacing the pickups, check out a compressor. They help to smooth things out. Emg's will give you a natural compression, however. You have to have new roundwound strings...I use Labella Supersteps .45-.105 gauge. Also, for a good tone try thumbing over the 24th fret(where the neck meets the body)...the "sweet spot". And finally, make sure you are coming off the string as fast as you are attacking it, so it can vibrate freely. See you in Graham Central Station!
  6. i figured it was the pickups. i was thinking about putting emg's in but wasnt sure what typ.i want to get a preamp from emg that is volume ,blend, bass ,treble,and mid. do they make that.and do they make it in stack nobs,cause i dont want to put to many holes in the bass

jontom i slap at the point you said the most. when you replaced the pickups was it hard to dial in a slap did you get a slap tone with the mec pickups
  7. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

I never had probs with my Warwick's slap tone but when I put DR stainless steel Low Riders (100-40, for the B string I use different strings because 5string sets are hard to come by where I live) the slap tone came alive and zingy more than with other brands I tried.

now, I dont know your definition for good slap tone (is there a song with the tone you're after that I can listen to?) but for me its fundamental to have a tweeter and to cut mids Mucho Grande.

another thing, is your Corvette the passive-passive model or active-passive?
  8. i want a slap sound like rhcp higher ground or the tone les claypool gets on tommy the cat on videoplasty.i would rather have that claypool tone.i know i cant get 100% match to the tone but i want to get as close as i can. i know he uses emg pickups on that jazz bass,

also my warwick is passive mec pickups with the passive controls.

i plan on getting a set of emg j pickups and the bqc preamp.
  9. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    I think your problem is the bass being passive.
    on passive basses theres a treble roll off (due to cable impedance if I'm not mistaken here).
    if you want to preserve the natural high end (or boost it) you'll need an active preamp in that bass.

but before you shell out the money, take your amp in your car and drive to a guitar store near you, say you want to check a Corvette active (try to give the impression you are shopping) and try it on your amp.
    if the active corvette doesnt do the trick you'll know that lack of active electronics isn't the (only) problem with getting your desired slap tone.
  10. i know its the bass i can get a good slap tone out of all my basses and there passive
  11. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Go for the EMG's. Its money in the bank! You'll have to put a hole in the bass, however, for the pre. My bass has four knobs...volume,blend,mid(frequency center control and gain in one), and bass/treble(in one). I had to order some concentric knobs from Warwick(and had to have a machinist route out the diameter a little),but it was worth it for the sound/astethic of the bass. But even if you replaced the pickups its an upgrade. I got out of those Mecs post-haste! You can cop the Les/Flea tone by shading toward the back pickup and adding a touch of mid-range spice.
  12. hey i plan on getting the emg pickups that dont have the pole's and the bqc preamp.i cant find out how much the pickups and preamp with cost me.also i know you need a 9v to run it were did you put it
  13. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I basically just put it in the control cavity with a decent sized piece of foam to secure it into one spot, so it wouldn't rattle around. If you are particularly paranoid(like me), you can wrap the battery in electrical tape. I did this because I thought the battery itself(being metal) might cause an adverse electrical connection with the other circuits inside. Silly me!
  14. i was think the thing from warmoth.then went no iam not cutting my bass up.then my bro was making some thing and has this clip for 9v