1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slap video

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Sam Dingle, Oct 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I've got a gig playing in the show "Million Dollar Quartet" which is about johnny cash, Elvis etc and I gotta play in that style. Can you give me a few beginner videos to get my slap technique up to speed. I got like a 4 bar solo somewhere and would like to be able to do the "cool fast triplet slap thing" haha.

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    specifically how do I do this haha

Attached Files:

3. Pull the string out and finger the 8th notes so they sound, then hit the fingerboard with your right hand near chest level, then again where you pluck the string on the 16th notes. It’s easier to keep a steadier galloping rhythm with that kind of circular motion.

Here is an old video I posted that sort of demonstrates the circular galloping motion:

Matt Hoyle and Jason Hollar like this.
  4. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Look for the Pete Turlington slap video on youtube. I can't link to it because I'm at work.

The circular motion that thebigreason uses is the way I do it too... unless you mean a drag triplet. Either way, start slow and speed up

What song is that?

thebigreason likes this.
  5. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Bigreason: that video (now that I can watch it) seems more like a bluegrass slap than what he has on his sheet. His sheet (to me) looks more noted out for a true triplet: 123,223,324,423 with the slaps on the 23 of each beat so it'd be more like a slow drum roll than a gallup

BTW: the real fast triplet is called a heel drag or drag triple

6. The song is Long Tall Sally. The notation is wrong, it's actually triplets all the way. Check out anything with Lee Rocker or Mark Winchester (both solo and with Brian Setzer).

7. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    The notation is for the broadway musical Million Dollar Quartet. I love Lee Rocker but his video can be a challenge. The guy doesn't even have you tune in the beginning and he is in Eb sortof tuning. Long Tall Sally is in triplets? I'd say it's a swing beat with a boogie style bassline

8. The solo is triplets, not 8ths and 16ths as the first bar is notated. The tuning is not important to get the technique for the style in this case.

9. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Sweet, I'll have to hunt down the notes for it