Slap vs Orch and Jazz

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by MatthewS, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    I just wanted to clear a couple things up for some people that may come to this forum, looking for help, and a path.
    If you choose to slap an upright bass, or play music that you slap to, doesnt mean that you are sloppy.
    Stanley Clarke.... need I say more?
    For those of you, that choose to play different styles of music, and dont confine yourself to reading music, using a bow or just doing what is told of you, CHEERS to you.
    Dont feel like you are bad, because some idiots on this board can dish it out, but cant take it.
    You can take my membership and stick up your tight ass. Maybe then you will loosin up.
    Just because you may have went to school for upright, doesnt make you better then anyone else. I can tell you this much, you have no passion. Passion is learning, you my friends have no clue.
    Thats the feeling this forum gives.
    You are not true musicians, your what Ray Brown calls amatures.
    I have seen alot of your style players, just stand their with their heads down in the music. Its sad.

2. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    Another thing, you are so blind that you will not even understand what I speak about.
    Dont just look up to those bassist for their playing, but look up to them for their passion.

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    That chip gettin heavy there fella?

Try therapy instead of the internet.

4. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007

No chip.
    I am all smiles right now.
    First thing also.
    Myself and friends have been attacked on here. Then when we say something back, we get cut off.
    So maybe look alittle closer.
    Also to Phil, your the head guy here?
    My thread got shut down for spam right?
    Whats your sig?

5. Pcocobass

Pcocobass Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    This thread and the other one is funny. :D

6. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    This is good!

I'm sure I'm old enough to be your Grandpa, but here goes:

Don't know if you realize it, but you are doing a knocked up job of perpetuating the negative sterotypes of of all rock and roll slap bassists. Since you have expressed strong opinions about players in other styles, this is true, no?

Now, if you outline your background in music here, maybe we can understand where you are coming from. For instance, did you study at a Conservatory in Prague, or did you learn to play in a Circus Tent or a Nightclub?

In my opinion all of those situations are legit atmospheres to study in. Some of the best players couldn't tell what time signature they are playing in when they are slapping the heck out of the bass on a Romanian tune.

MattewS, if you share some of your influences here, you might find a whole lot of good things coming back in return. There are alot of great folks here at TB.

But if you want to behave like all knowlege stops where YOURS does, then you ought to look up your own a** and check out whats up there.

Time for more kitten photos!

7. I understand about snobbery in music. I have been a victim as well as one who has dished it out. All applicable knowledge is based on personal experience. Someone else's experience may be different than yours, and that is cool. What can you learn from them, and what can you pass along to the next person. It is the stubbourness of people that iritates me. If you don't do this then you are wrong...that type of attitude is iritating. What you have to learn to do MattewS, (as well as everyone else here), is take the banana approach. That is take what you can use to better yourself (the fruit), and discard the rest (the peel).

8. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    Ok lets see,
    I have read through this forum and found alot of usefull tips for sure. I do not think all knowlege stops where mine does, I never said that, your putting words into my mouth.
    I see through out this forum people advertising stuff that isnt paid for and can be considered spam.
    You yourself, instead of asking me a question as to why or what or who, you then in turn said a few little things other then that.
    For the majority of rockabilly and psychobilly bassist, they will know my bands. I am not looking to make lots of money off of teaching, more like maybe a few extra bucks and share something that I live for, upright bass.
    So instead of insulting me, try asking me a question that isnt a underhanded put down.
    I dont care how old you are. Maybe you are old enough to be my grandpa, that doesnt mean you deserve my respect unless you do something to deserve it, and so far you havent.
    Expressing strong opinions of players in other styles?
    Nope. I love jazz, and jazz bass. There is nothing like hearing the sound of a full blown orchestra also, I will play that someday. the only thing I put down, was the attitude that is seen by some here. Noses in the air. Like slap bassist are bastard children.
    So if some of you think that most slap bassist are sloppy, then try educating them, not putting them down.
    As for me goes. I will contribute what I know, and continue learning from different people on here. I never said I was a master bassist, learning never stops.
    Remember every one starts somewhere.
    To me, thats great that some went to study upright bass at a college, or something like that. I would like to and will.
    But.... I dont believe anyones way is the right way, it was a theory. Just like my style or ways to play bass, I will teach them, but in the end its up to the student to make it their own and adapt their own ways.

9. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Just trying to coax some words and real life stories out of you, son.:D

Those kitten photos are the best thing going since Spirocores!

10. Seventhirteen

Seventhirteen

Jan 28, 2007
    i would gather someone wanting to learn the styles this fella described would know the bands he listed, they wouldn't really even be slightly obscure references.....

one would think, folks could also do a quick google on any of those bands if they required more info. not like rezerux is a band that plays once a year in some bar in kansas.

11. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007

I know you are.
    Spirocores? BOO
    son? hahaha
    I guess that means its true. You cant teach an old dog new tricks. xoxo

12. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Ahh, we need some entertainment now and then. :)

Umm... Matthew, he's self-identifying himself as a a commercial user, as per the Commercial User rules. They're supposed to do that so you know that they don't end up shilling for themselves or conflict-of-interests reasons. Advertisements go in the Classifieds section, or did you miss that too?

Matthew, just a hint: With everything you've written so far in these two threads, you're doing an excellent job representing yourself as a patient and upstanding teacher that we should all look up to. :rolleyes:

What you don't realize is that there are a number of highly skilled slappers on this forum, some of whom have posted in this thread, who play with alot of rhythmic style and melodic sense. Stuff I've yet to see in the slapper community at large who seem more concerned about banging out their basses as fast as possible while standing on their basses (yet another generalization).

What I said in the previous thread was a generalization, but to me is true. I judge by looking at those who have posted vids on YouTube and what I've seen from old footage as the masters. I've just been kinda shocked too many times in the past that when we mention names like Milt Hinton or Pops Foster, slappers tend not to even know who those guys are, tho they're the ones who started it all.

So again, pardon us (or me rather) for the skepticism.

13. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    BTW: I looked up your bands and only Mad Marge came up with something decent. The rest of the bands came up rather obscure or the website doesn't exist save for myspace pages. Mad Marge seems okay, not my cuppa tea tho.

I dunno, I don't have questions for you, unless you can tell us how Wille Dixon gets those really cool rhythmic figures during Muddy Water's solo on "I Can't Be Satisfied". Hmmmm?

edit: One more thing, Mark Rubin used to show up around here and shared alot of great info. I still think he does now and then. I got some great tips on CTS from him that pretty much cured any pain I had in my wrists. But the important fact is that he started contributing to the forum while not having an attitude about it. I hope he won over some new students due to his participation and generosity. For myself, it does make me think of trying to get a lesson the next time I'm in Austin.

14. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    Well I had the pleasure of meeting Matt when I saw the stonecutters on New Years Eve..I dont claim to be his best friend or anything but i saw him play and talked with him after..He definitely can play and is very passionate about the instrument..We talked after the gig and he was very down to earth and cool..He didnt come off at all as all knowing and mightier than thou..Im confident he can teach the styles in which he stated..If you had to google the bands he has been in, then what he can show you probably wouldnt intrest you anyway..Good luck Matt..Now Ill go back to the peanut gallery..

15. Seventhirteen

Seventhirteen

Jan 28, 2007
    here's my question for you hdiddy.

why are you even posting in this section if slappers are sub-par, sloppy bass players? this is a blue grass/rockabilly section?

16. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    Again I understand that.
    If there was a problem with me posting that, maybe that should of directly stated. Also like I said, if you or anyone wanted to know more about me, it just had to be asked. Ofcourse its easier to sit back bate the hook and throw it out their, then when someone respondes say "you this you that"
    Also, I am very patient, and a good teacher. Just because I stand up for myself, and defend not just me, but slap bass players, and another forum Rockabillybass.com doesnt make me a bad teacher.
    I myself would rather take a lesson from someone that stands their ground then to coward down to people on the internet.
    As far as those people you mentioned, yes I know who they are, as well as many others. There are few actually rockabilly or psychobilly bassist I look up to compared to jazz bassist.
    Do you know who Fanthomas (Thomas) from KON is? Pete Gorilla?
    Matt Gstring? Kim Kix? Simon from the Peacocks?

17. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Ummmmm... that's what my generalizations were describing, yes that's true but I think there are many exceptions and people who I'd like to emulate. There are always exceptions. If you look again at my participation in this forum, you'll see that I have my preferences. Tips on emulating on what I refer as the "originators" (Pops Foster, Milt Hinton, Willie Dixon, etc.) is what I seek, and usually it's not the psychobilly players that are offering the insight. I think there's more of a "deer in the headlights" response when those names are mentioned.

I do admit that I immediately pigeon-hole people who mention dripples, drag dripplets, and trippels as a rockabilly or psychobilly player, for better or for worse. I admit these guys have alot of physical stamina, but I'm not into their musical sense. I don't think I'm the only one.

Slap and Jazz/Blues isn't mutually exclusive, as I've been trying to point out over and over with the Milt Hinton or Willie Dixon example. Milt Hinton's slapping was often showcased during his concerts, unless I'm horribly mistaken somehow.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should mention that I think we often judge on the bassist's skill by looking at their form. Compared to classical technique, the left hand typically makes alot of us cringe. You may not consider it much, but once you get exposed to Simandl and other methods, it just looks really painful. With the right hand, I might not know what the heck is going on, but there's no reason why I don't see a player should have better technique with the left. I'm sure that's part of the criticism. I posted a vid of Willie Dixon a while back. We admired his rhythm playing but his left hand technique was kinda scary.

18. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Hey MatthewS, I just got some nasty spam right after looking at one of those bands you claim to have played bass with.:D

Must be painful to play bass that way you do! Couple of more years and you ought to be up on blocks if you keep pickin' like that , buddy. Aren't you worried?

Got any good kitty pictures?

19. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Huh? No offense, but I just didn't understand that sentence.
    Sorry, never heard of them. I've only briefly heard of bands like Tiger Army and Nekromantix and I'm not really into their styles. There's a couple vids of Djorde Stepovic [sp?] floating around the internet but it was so so.

I don't listen to alotta bluegrass and most of my other exposure to slap has been with Blues bands outside of what I've mentioned. Little Charlie and the Nightcats for example.

Maybe you should post some links to cite as examples.

20. Seventhirteen

Seventhirteen

Jan 28, 2007
    i'm unsure how you would know what the "exceptions" are when you don't seem to know much about the genre at all. names like rezurex (which has members from tiger army and nekromanix) and calvera seemed to stump you as to who they are.

ironicly, much like your example of people not knowing who milt hinton is. funny thing about pointing at folks is, 3 fingers are pointing back at you......

no doubt milt and pops are great jazz players and willie a brillant blues artist, OH MY i actually knew who they were! :bassist:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.