Slap vs Orch and Jazz

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by MatthewS, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Mmmkay. I told you I don't listen to psychobilly, and I'm not interested in that style. I don't care about that genre. Was that not obvious? Slap is bigger than just psychobilly.

However, I would think if musicians who claim that they've got a handle on slap as a technique, they should be able to remotely tell me how the names that I've mentioned are able to get the sound they do. Purely as musicians and not as stylists.

Instead, you just end up making childish comments that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. You can play all the gotcha games you want. I don't really care.

2. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    You are to funny.
    keep them coming.
    So I never asked, what style do you play?

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Unless he fixes computers for a living, I'd think his screen name would give you a bit of a clue.

4. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    So, let me ask you is slap percusive?
    Do drums have names for rythms, fills?
    So you think a bow would work good with fingerpicking guitar?
    or do you think jazz bass would sound better over a full drum kit and distorted guitar and someone singing hard?

People like you and this other tool, will never be remembered as a bassist. Why do you think the one you look up to are remembered? can you name someone from 1900? or how about 1800?
    Why is it that the bassist that are mentioned are from the 1900s? was the style the used different?
    Maybe instead of saying, "based on the form" I can tell they are bad bassplayers.
    Its ok, cause people like you are just fuel to my fire. I give my word on this. When I die, I will be remembered as a bassist, and be looked up to, why cause I dont have boundries, I take in all styles, I can adapt. You my friend and this other guy, will die and not be remembered for you true bass skills.
    Purist dont last.

5. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I play what you haven't played yet. Hows that for an evasive answer? I'm learning how to answer questions that way from you! I'm beginning to feel like a teenager again!

6. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    This will be the last post.
    Say what you will. You look the fool.
    This is talkbass forum. under rockabilly.
    maybe you should invade the ebass forum and tell them thats not a true bass, because the bass greats played uprights.
    You people, not all on here, are sad.
    I take it your older guys. How does it feel to grow old, being so conformed to life and society? What will be sad, is when you die, your last thoughts will be filled with regrets for what you havent done. It was mentioned before that I need therapy, maybe I do maybe I dont, but at least I dont fear change, or new things. To me people that fear something like those, need therapy.
    Its evident you truely do not love your art, and that your passion lacks. How long have you worked to play your bass, the way everyone else says? how does it feel to know that you are not true lovers of upright bass?
    I want to learn orchistra, jazz, funk, latin. I want to learn it all.
    yes, in my pics, I dont stand how ones supposed to, but thats how I choose to play with that style of music, its what fits me best. Now when I practice at home, its a different story.
    Like I said, I will be remembered, you wont.
    End of story.
    Close this ****ing thread down.
    While your at it change the name of this ****ing website, and this double bass forum.
    Next time I am in your town, come to my show. I challenge you guys to play :)

mrpc-I love you

7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I'm jealous, who's this other tool? MrPC?

Other than your name and prior posted email addy, I have no idea who you are or who you claim to be. Despite what you say, you obviously have boundaries because you never talk about the music and instead resort to personal insults. Is there something we're avoiding? HMmmm? At least I tried posing an honest question to you earlier. I would've been fine had you just said I don't know about Willie Dixon's style and just left it at that. But for whatever reason, you have something to prove.

All styles? If you say so I guess. Given your answer about traditional bass methods and the way your band dresses, I doubt if you'll be playing in an orchestra anytime soon. :rolleyes:

I agree with you, I won't be remembered for my mad bass skillz. Neither will 80% of the bass players out there who don't make a real name for themselves but have a passion for playing just the same. We don't do it for the fame. That's how impermanence works. As for you, in the short term, you're worth remembering for a good laugh. :smug:

Thanks for going back to personal insults. TBDB has been slow as of late. You give us something to pick on. :D

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hmmm.... low eighties, light trades blowing, I'm sitting in a very nice house in Maui that I paid for with my living as a jazz bassist, heading for Japan, Mainland US, and Europe on tours in the next two years..... I gotta say, I don't mind getting old, if fifty is old. I surely am not as torqued off about my situation as you seem to be.

9. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I love you as well, man. Where are you playing? You've got the jazz spirit!

10. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Oh come on! Don't go!!!! It was just getting fun.

You don't say!
    Uh.... we do. Hahahaaha! Thats why they avoid this side of the forum! You should see when the accidentally post over here.
    Umm... I aspire to be a jazz bassist. I'm not doing this? oh wow! Actually, I'm more sad that you won't be responding to our posts anymore.

Hahaha... Clueless doesn't even know how to kill the very thread he started. You'll go far my friend.... very far!

Thanks buddy. We'll miss you.

11. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    Ok I have 30 minutes left at work, and this has been some fun, the day has flown so fast.
    Willie Dixon, yes I do know who he is. Do you have any original records? hmm I do.
    So then, why do you remember Milt, Willie, Ray, etc?
    Me something to prove? who started all of this?
    Well did you say this with your nose in the air "Given your answer about traditional bass methods and the way your band dresses, I doubt if you'll be playing in an orchestra anytime soon"

haha
    your funny.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    uhhhhh......:confused:

13. MatthewS

MatthewS

Jan 25, 2007
    Cool thats rad, good for you. (not joking either)

Yes I have toured all those places including mexico, every one but japan more then twice. Your 50, I am half your age.
    I am not torqued, go back and read from the start. The first reply, was trying to start drama.
    Lets see, in 6 years of playing bass, I have made it this far, I think with another 24 years I should be where you are for sure.
    It sounds like a nice place to live, I have only visited.

14. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    BWAHAHHA!!! Oh man! Stop it! You're going to get me in trouble for laughing out loud at work!

15. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Done.
    You also requested that we "take [your] membership and stick it up [our] a**." We can accommodate at least the first part of that wish for you.

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    cute_kitten.p.jpg

Click and take your pick. No one here is trying to hide anything.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.