Slap - What pickup do you favour?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by HotTubesGrooves, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Bridge

7 vote(s)
  2. Neck

8 vote(s)
  3. Both

17 vote(s)
  1. Am I mad, or do other people solo their NECK pickup when they slap? To me it sounds so much more punchy and interesting than using the bridge, and you get a real rich Stuart Zender style tone (Well I do on my 'wick). Just curious :smug:
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Smack down in the middle.
  3. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    I play Jazz basses.

With that said, like Whafro, I balance the two together for my own sound during solos and stuff.

If I'm playing older tunes that recorded with a 'old school sound', I'll que in the neck just a little bit. Just enough to notice the change in tone and that's it. I rarely if ever solo any pickup.

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I play a L-2000, so its a real decision for me

I find that using one or the other tends to leave something desired, whereas both is the best of both worlds (for fingerstyle and slap)
  5. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    If find that I use the bridge pick up on my sterling for slap and finger style and everything else........
  6. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I use my pups 50/50, with the bass boosted on the neck, and the trable on the bridge.
  7. on my cheapo Yammy (only bass in my posession with a decent slap tone)...I put the bridge J-pup on full throttle and dial in the neck P-pup about 50%... I then open the tone pot up (use my amp for the slap contour)...

I find that when I run the pups in series (have performed a series mod) and scoop my amp a little more...I get a very thumpy slap tone...which would work well is some settings, i think...
  8. For slapping, definately the Neck PU. It's got more of a thick, hearty sound. When I slap I want it to be nice and fat sounding like that.
  9. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    +1 neck-especially on an L2000
  10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I use the neck the majority of the time I use the neck pickup on my bas, but I often fiddle around with both and blend them, gets me a sort of Stuart Hamm/Vail Johnson type tone.

It really is a dream having a Kubicki, getting these dream tones :cool: