Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Paolo, Feb 9, 2001.

1. What's the best setup for the slap ?
  2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    For me, low action, active electronics, the string gauges of .04,.06,.08,.100, and a bit of compression.
  3. I agree with paleale. Low action makes it real nice for slap. Also, I usually turn down the treble a little and raise the bass, but that's just me.
  4. I've heard cutting the mids on your amp can give you a really good slap sound, as well as boosting the bass and treble.
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, my action is more in the medium range, I do use a .100 E string (as well as a .126 B), but instead of cutting my mids, my tendency is to use my sweepable mid control (EMG BQC active tone controls) to BOOST my mids. I can't give a specific technical frequency that I'm boosting, I just crank the boost/cut knob up all the way, sweep the mid and find where the best "quack" is. Then I just adjust the boost to taste. I find that cutting mids sounds good when I'm in a room all alone, but as soon as I get onstage with a guitar and drum set, my tone just disappears unless I boost the mids.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Exactly! Scooped mids sound awesome in the bedroom, but if you want to be heard onstage, that's the last thing you want to cut, is the mids.

More likely, cut your extreme lows a little bit, boost around 600 - 1000 hz or so(I like around 700), and maybe 2 or 3 db boost on the highs for clarity.

It may sound like crap when you are playing alone, but the bass cuts through the mix with th mids boosted, even when playing with loud distorted guitars.