Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by chips, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Hey punters,

So i've been playing since christmas, self taught, and want to take it to the next level!... So i'm trying to teach myself slap playing. Just wondering how long it took some of you guys/gals to learn slap, and whether or not you had lessons? I'm gonna hook up some lessons most probably i think, but still have a crack at it myself

Chips :bassist:
  2. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i would take lessons. might as well have someone who know's what they are doing show you how to do it right. this way you won't learn any bad habits.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Figure six months till you can make it "sound right".

Then after that, however long it takes to learn all the subtleties and tricks.

Depends where you want to go with it. If you just want to be able to "get the sound" occasionally, it's not too big a deal.

If you want to become a "good" slapper, you have to go through the mental adjustment of unlearning everything you thought you knew about playing the bass, and learning a whole new approach.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  5. SpasmBass

Mar 10, 2004
    Juneau Ak
    In my opinion i would say get lessons or atleast some instructionol videos, because there are so many tricks and little things you can do besides just slapping. It wont take you long though if just practice, but to really get the sound you want that will take quite some time.
  6. SpasmBass

Mar 10, 2004
    Juneau Ak
    You can't hold no groove unless you got a pocket.
  7. AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    I originally took lessons about 2 years ago, but I learned how to slap myself about a month when I was finished with lessons. Now, I learned HOW to slap, that doesn't mean I did it well right then. It took me quite a few months to make it sounds right, and now I love slapping and popping.

I'll tell this to anyone learning to slap: If you want the basic technique, remember; hit the string with your thumb, but IMMEDIATELY take your thumb back off the string once you strike it so it's one quick motion. I see a lot of beginning slappers these days try hitting the string and keeping their thumb on the string, which just doesn't work.