1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

slapback delay - what's good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by project_c, Mar 26, 2009.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    there's a lot of delay pedals out there, and i'm just after a simple, analog sounding slapback delay which does the job well and sounds nice and warm. i'm not fussed about pink floyd style 23 second memory etc, but a few extra features might be nice (envelopes / lfo's / grit etc). any recommendations on some decent delays? thanks

2. I have 3 delays,... the MXR carbon copy, hardwire DL-8 and the PS-3,... for slapback delay I would rate it as carbon copy first, Ps-3 second and DL-8 third,....

carbon copy is very simple analog delay but it is so warm and the repeats sound so nice,... also has a modulation switch on it but I don't ever use that much

PS-3 is digital but it has alot of modes that are very short delays, don't know wether its meant to be part of the settings or just the 'character' of the pedal but it tends to have a nice 'warble' in it but sounds a bit more processed,... it also has reverse delay and pitch shifting etc on it which is what I mainly use it for :)

the DL-8 is digital and has a lot of settings on it, I tend to leave it on the modulated mode as that sounds closest to the carbon copy sounds as I can get it,... all the other modes are too clean/processed for me... benefit of the DL-8 is it has looping capability and quite a lot of modes like 0.5sec, 1sec ,2sec, 8sec, reverse, analog (though it still sounds KINDA digital to me), slapback, lo fi, tape and loop... I guess benefit of you wanting slapback is that all the analog moduklated, lo fi and tape have short time ranges too :)

There you go thats my 3 delay pedal reviews in a nutshell (and for what its worth, the PS-3 and DL-8 are on my board, only favouring the DL-8 over carbon copy because it means I can have looping if I want it too :) )

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I would look into the Roland RE-20 Space Echo. You have some nice extras there that are fun to mess with and there are lots of options without feeling like you have a multi-effects unit.
    I have one on my board!
    Bongomania may still have his in the classifieds.

4. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    thanks for the reviews, the carbon copy does look pretty good, i was checking that out earlier. i had a space echo and sold it a while ago before i started playing bass, really regret selling that now. however the carbon copy might be the thing i'm after.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I really like my Ibanez AD-9... does slap back stuff well.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Can someone give me an example of when one would use a slapback type delay?

7. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    ambience.....I use slap back delay on top of another digital delay. The delay that does the slap back is a mxr carbon copy and the long repeat delay is a digitech digidelay. You can also use one for country :D

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Google.com is your friend...

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_(audio_effect):
    So, on bass you would use it for a layered effect...

9. Well, a short slapback echo (like about 100 ms or so) with one or a couple repeats on guitar or vocals or even drums is very common in rockabilly music. You will often find slapback added to drums in some early 1970's British hard rock and glam, usually just a quick single repeat (e.g., T. Rex, Bowie, John Lennon's "Well Well Well"). On bass, it's not so commonly used, probably most often heard in some post-punk "lead bass" lines. But the first track that comes to my mind for bass slapback is a psychedelic tune called "25 O'Clock" by the Dukes of Stratosphear (XTC under an alias) which is basically a superior tribute to the Electric Prunes' "I Had too Much to Dream (Last Night)"

I use it fairly often with my current band, and I use an old Ibanez Delay Champ, which sounds GREAT for slapback stuff. Unfortunately, the switch on mine is going bad, so I'll need to find a replacement pedal. I need my pedals to turn on or off 100% of the time when I step on them, not just when the pedal feels like switching!!

10. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    songs that use slapback?

11. Try a Guyatone MD3. I like its slap back capabilities.

12. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    excellent suggestions there, thanks for the input everyone. it's precisely the 50's style slapback and also the early 80s post-punk lead bass that i'm after as a starting point, Lunarpollen's explanation is spot on.

13. merkaba by tool? but then again, thats more of a noise peice than anything ;)

not 100% but I thought jaco literally used slapback delay and two amps to produce his 'chorus' effect live,... but don't quote me on that!

alot of bass ambient 'intro's/noise peices/breakdowns' could use it?

I mainly use mine as a slap back with a few repeats on the DL-8 as a drawing out of my noise peice (I chuck it on after using ps-3 set to sound like a organ with two pitch shifts and PD-7 distortion,... sounds like an out of control organ,... also use it with noise box and PD-7 on to get a 'wave' of sonic distortion/breakup (has to be heard to be explained? basically sounds like alternating everlasting fuzz sustain that is almost like a filter with the repeats causing it to come in waves...)

could also be used for ballady type things?

14. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    You better watch out making those claims 'round here! Capt. Save-a-Jaco should be here any minute to tell us about how Jaco never used any effects in the studio (I know I know.. we're not even talking about the studio:scowl:), and actually double tracked his lines in two flawless takes on Continuum! :smug: (im pretty sure he just used an MXR digital delay for all of his live chorusing btw, but don't quote me on that either).

OP- The Polychorus, while large and 24v, has 4 modes: Filter Matrix, Chorus, Flange, and Double track- which offers up to 100ms of crisp slapback delay... but after re-reading your post, I don't know if I would describe it as being the warmest slap back ive heard. The DM2 is discontinued and a bit expensive but it's nice and warm- the CC might fit the nicely in that case.

15. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I remember trying the Danelectro Reel Echo (Watkins Copy Cat simulation minus the tape) and remember it being great fun and rather authentic for those rockabilly moments.

16. yeah I know I know, I walk on dangerous mine fields,...

I'm going from what my teacher told me (who was old enough to remember jaco stuff when it first came out and got me into continuum!)

also dubiously sourced wikipedia comment

'Jaco used the "Variamp" EQ (equalization) controls on his two Acoustic 360 amplifiers (made by the Acoustic Control Corporation of Van Nuys, California) to boost the midrange frequencies, thus accentuating the natural growling tone of his fretless passive Fender Jazz Bass and roundwound string combination. His tone was also colored by the use of a rackmount MXR digital delay unit that fed a second Acoustic amp rig.

He often used Hartke cabinets because of their characteristic aluminum speaker cones (as opposed to paper speaker cones). These gave his tone a bright, clean clarity. He typically used the delay in a chorus-like mode, providing a shimmering stereo doubling effect. He would often use the fuzz control built in on the Acoustic 361. For the bass solo "Slang" on the 8:30 album, Jaco used the MXR digital delay to layer and loop a chordal figure and then he soloed over it. Jaco used Rotosound strings. [14]'

If anyone wants to correct me go ahead but I'll at least say that I tried to explain where slap back could be used :ninja:

and for slapback, I seriously love the carbon copy...
    none of my other delays come near the tone I get from the carbon copy,... its just that the other modes come more in handy for them staying on my board right now :(

17. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Delta Lab DD1...59.99 and it's only capable of slapback delay! win!!! :D

18. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Danelectro Fab Echo - inexpensive, blue LED ( heh heh ), and a very very nice job on a bit of slap-back echo. Really.

19. i found that a behringer delay did everything i need from a delay. that being said, it also makes the bass sound a little metallic and dry with each echo

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Bumping this thread because I heard a cool song on alternative radio last week that opened with a big phat bass with slapback delay on it. I forgot to write down the chorus lyric, and the artist wasn't announced. It's kinda slow-ish, but not a ballad. Anyone got a clue?!?

Adding: it's minor key, goes root to six, root to six (I think), bass line is eighth notes...

Okay, I know this isn't much help, but there aren't many songs out there that feature a prominent bass line with slapback echo!