Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slaping fretless?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xxajr8xx, Sep 13, 2005.

1. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    I was wondering, can you get the same sound from slapping on a freted bass to slapping on a fretless bass. or is it like a completly different tone.

2. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can get some really sick sounds slapping on a fretless. Depending on the bass and your intonation you may be able to fool the listener into thinking you're on a fretted instrument until you drop in a slide and show 'em what's *really* going on...

3. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    nice thanks for the info :D
    all i need now is a good afordable company for fretless basses or just a neck..?? mmm idk

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Les Claypool slaps a fretless in quite a few of Primus' songs. It does sound pretty sick. You may need to slap harder to achieve a good sound, but I don't know, you can figure it out when you get there.

5. If I want a growlier slap tone on my fretless I just roll the balance onto the bridge pick up and add a little more bass. IMHO pickups would have a lot to do with it...
    I can't get the "snap" of a fretted bass being slapped, but my beast certainly holds its own.

6. 0557

Apr 12, 2004
    Pino Palladino plays some mean slap with Paul Young.
    He used a stingray 4 fretless.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    You Can Call me Al- Paul Simon

That bass solo makes me go wow.

8. Absolutely...I remember a couple of my friends back in the Youngstown, OH area were in a "project" band a few years back (they all played in other bands but would come together to do special gigs) and they absolutely kicked butt...complete with a 4-piece horn section. These guys absolutely NAILED this tune...including the bass solo.

I yearned to play a fretless ever since... 20 years later, it was a reality :) (I still can't play that tune, however, mostly because I haven't a recording of it...that would help, huh? :rolleyes: )

9. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Has anyone ever tried playing slide on a fretless bass, would this sound horrible without some type of overdrive or distortion?

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hmmm... how so?

a slide is what "frets" the note. A slide guitar is generally set with high action so the slide can do it's thing without the neck/frets/fingerboard getting in it's way. A pedal steel actually has the strings perched inches above any surfaces.

back to topic, slapping on a fretless is just another flavor, slap sounds different from model to model, brand to brand... fretted to fretless.

11. I just would fear something concerning slapping the fretless, it's causing quick damage to the fingerboard, depending on the wood!

Vince

12. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Was that slapped? i thought it was played finger-styled!

13. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I just de-fretted one of my own basses and put flatwounds on it... I recorded "Take the Power Back" by RATM last night (simple slap bass line). Although it's a terrible bass, it sounds pretty funky... nothing like my Jazz though!

I'll post the bassline later this week when I get time... have to record it again, cos I think I discarded it...

14. I've got an ibanez bass with an epoxied board, whats funny, is most of the time it doesn't even sound very fretless, it has a very focused sound that just sounds great, but I eq the hell out of the mids with the 3 band bart eq to actually mwah-ify it. How this is relevant is, the epoxy board sounds very, very good slapped, better than any other fretless i've ever heard hands down. I bought it like this, and have no idea what type of epoxy it is, but it is just damn good. Not as fretless-y as the string on bare wood sound, but good all the same. I could easily use this type of instrument as my main and wouldn't even bat an eye.

15. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Would someone care to address this, I was wondering the same thing, will slapping on a fretless damage the fingerboard? or is this not an issue?

16. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Depends on the material the fretboard was made from. There are a lot of 'impregnated' or 'stabilized' woods being used these days that make the wood rock hard. I have a Marchlewski fretless with rounds on on a stabilized bubinga board. I 'slap the crap' out of it with only minor surface marks that aren't really visible.

A soft maple fretless wouldn't be good though.

17. ak50324

ak50324

Jul 30, 2005
    if you have defretted it like me you should put on a few layers of polyeruthaynon it...I have slapped mine for months without a scracth :)

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can get a similar tone to slapping a fretted, but it will never be as bright or metallic.

As far as wear goes, if you get a bass with a phenowood/rockwood/diamondwood board, it is not an issue. Even ebony will wear for a long time, as long as you play with a light touch.

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Although first time I heard John Turner slap one of his fretless Conklins, I could have sworn it was fretted. I thought it was so close it was scary.

20. Ever listen to Primus album Pork Soda? Les Claypool plays his Carl Thompson Rainbow Bass, which is a six string fretless a lot on the album. My Name Is Mud, Welcome To This World, and Bob are a few songs on Pork that he uses the fretless on and slaps and all that good stuff. So if you want to hear some slap on fretless listen to some of that. Its gooood stuff :) Hope I was of some help to you in your search

P.S. I have the Primus DVD, and he slaps a fretless on that too, but he hits it insanely hard most of the time, if you get a chance to watch it (Primus Hallucino-Genetics Live 2004) you should definitly watch it, its an awesome concert video if you are into that kind of stuff.