Slappers help me

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jasnewsted, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Jasnewsted

Apr 1, 2000
    I have a problem when i slap,
    its not like all the other questions about slapping in this forum, i know how i slap, the case is;

When I slap at home often with my guitar not conected to any amp, what so ever (acoustic) the sound is great, and also if I slap with the guitar conected to my Zoom 708 pedal and headset.

BUT when ever i slap when plugged into an Amp the sound is horrible, how do you set up the eq or what do you guys do to get that tone.

And do you turn down the volume when slapping in stead of regulare playing. Cause when i slap at normal volume I alost kill my band mates.

And when i slap the E string i often get a scwffhha sound, but this goes away if I turn off the pick up (closest to the neck)

Please help me, Im a frustrated guy who write really bad, so i hope you understood my questions, and if not just answer any way......!!

2. The "scwffwhaha" sound may be because your neck pickup is too high and its hitting the string or is overdriving. Lower the neck pickup with the screws on either side of it.

And to get a good slap sound, turn your mids down, your lows kinda up and your highs up.

If you find yourself drowning out yer bandmates, turn down.
  3. "scwffwhaha" - I love it ! ! What type of equipment are you using (bass & amp) ?
  4. Jasnewsted

Apr 1, 2000
    I have a fender Jazz (mexican ) bass
    and a Peavy 150w 1x15" and 2x8"

is the Jazz bass good for slapping?

5. I would say that the sound is definitely the string hitting the neck pickup. Try lowering it a little bit.
  6. I would have to agree with steamboat... sounds like you are hitting against your front pickup... ditto the previous message.

7. Yes, the Jazz bass is very good for slapping, once you get it set up and sounding decent.
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am not a good slapper, but the one thing I notice about the techinique and my discussions with those who do it well is that they use compression really well. The spikes and valleys in your signal from the strings banging around need some sort of control. If you have a compressor, try it out.

Also, since you are trying to slap without the bass plugged in, you are probably slapping the strings very hard. You may be freaking out the preamp. Again compression will help. Maybe softening your attack a bit will also.
  9. What sort of amp? Some amps just can't produce a good slap sound.