1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slappin' on a P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pete&petelives, Mar 26, 2006.

1. pete&petelives

pete&petelives

Jan 8, 2006
    Are there some people here who prefer the slap of a p-bass rather than a jazz (or humbucker, non-precision pickup)? I've always been the stereotypical j-bass slap freak:) and never even really considered that a p-bass could sound good for slap (Of course, I tried it, but never really "listened"). Then one day this dude I knew said he actually preferred a p-bass slap sound, then he gave me a few bass players to look into who slap on a p-bass, one of them being Freddie Washington. He's a great bass player so I took his word and went out and tried slappin' on a MIM Fender Precision. I was still pretty dissappointed with the P-bass slap sound, however I was just curious and wanted to bring up the subject.

2. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i love the p bass slap sound. turn that tone knob up and start slappin and poppin.

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1. I find the Jazz tone to be more articulate and cutting, whereas the P slap tone is much meatier and fuller. It's much more aggressive sounding, too.

4. Bently

Bently Guest

Jul 3, 2005
    Saltillo, Mississippi
    A P-bass was my first bass. And I grew somewhat attached to to sound of salpping on it.

5. Add Louis Johnson to the list of P-slappers--he wields one on the cover of the first Brothers Johnson album.

PS: The original poster's login name is awesome.

6. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Ready" Freddie Washington did a pretty good job on "Forget-Me-Nots" with his P, as well as Robin Duhe with Maze and his Antigua colored P!

9. pete&petelives

pete&petelives

Jan 8, 2006
    I'm glad to see people recognize the power of pete & pete:) . I'd also like to say I'm a big fan of P/J basses also, so I'm not the total j-bass freak as I stated before, and I can totally see what you guys mean when you say that it makes the sound meatier, that's why I love P/J's they seem to beef up the sound a bit, but I haven't really found just a regular p-bass where I liked the slap yet... are there some Fender models that stick out?

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1, and I really dig the track "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth is". Fonk!

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I love my ash/maple 70s jazz sound for slapping, but i also love the old school sound of a slapped P.

"Ready" Freddie Washington also did some mean slapping on a Herbie Hancock track, "Just Around The Corner" from 1980's Mr Hands. Classic Fusion!!!:D Totally off topic but there is a blistering Jaco track on there too.

12. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    The P-bass slap sound is just more fun :) It's ultra bouncy and thick, opposite of the messy thin sound of some bass "gurus"

13. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Slappin' on a P is much fun if you want the funk without losing the balls. The string spacing is cool for that technique too.

Cheers
    Jay

14. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Forget me nots = Very cool song

15. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    lol, I'm really an oddball here, I slap on a p, but mine just happens to be fretless. This is only because I haven't learned enough slap to be able to do it on my 6, but when I do, those rounds will there the bejesus out of my fingers.

Greg

16. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I like both slap tones, P-bass and J-bass. At least for me , the preferred sound generally depends on music.

Ted

17. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Check out George Porter Jr. on Tori Amos' "Talula" remix. He just lays down halfway through.
    I know he isn't known for slapping, but damn.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

+1000

:bag:

19. I have an Ibanez P/J and I ALWAYS slap with P pickup soloed. It just sounds ballsier, like when you slap the strings Bill Kazmiers ginormous arm comes out of the speaker and just punches you in the face. It kind of reminds me of position 3 on the MusicMan Stingray HH, I still have a black eye from when I played that thing at Guitar Center months ago.

20. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    IMO just a different sound for slap, just like there's a jazz, a modern active sound, warwick, ric, MM, ect.

I think they all sound good in their own way, but some just sound better for certain applications.

Note* I am only talking about tone in those examples not necessarily playability or the like.