slappin to strings simultaneously

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by funkymonkey, Aug 14, 2003.

1. funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    i just bought slap it from tony and its awesome, quite short but full off cool licks. but ive question to some of them. in some riffs there a are 2-note-chords with a T on it. Means ive to slap two strings simultaneously. but how does this work? ive got only one thumb :bawl: and u only get a good slap sound with the joint and this way u only can slap one string. so how does he do that?
  2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    You mean double-stops.

Without seeing the anotation, it's really hard to say.
    Check the abbreviation key. Does "T" mean "tapped"?

Is there a video or CD with this?
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You've only got one thumb joint... but how long do those double stops ring for? If they're a short, percussive thump, it may not matter if both notes aren't crisp and clean.

Or... it could be a misprint. Would it be feasible to sound the two notes by popping them with the fingers rather than slapping them with the thumb?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As others have said, I would have to see the notation to determine if it means slapping two strings simultaneously.

But if that's what it is, it can be done. One of my original songs requires slapping three strings simultaneously, and I can do that. They are all adjacent strings. I put my thumb across all three strings and slap away.

What is tougher is slapping two strings that are not adjacent. But that can be done with muting. I have another song where I do that.
  5. funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    check out, look at the 1st line of the 3rd example. the last note is the problem. T means slap here and its no misprint, there are a lot of other riffs with that technique.
    i could imagine this way: slapping the higher string with my joint and the lower string with the part of my thumb next to the nail, i think. but the latter makes no good sound. so how does it go better?
    btw what means double-stop? i certainly know what it is but i dont know the name for it.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Please do NOT restart this argument! Two note chords is a perfectly acceptable term.
  7. embellisher

I believe this is the example you are referring to. You slap both strings with your thumb, simultaneously. It takes practice to get them to come out evenly. When I started slapping multiple strings, at first it was uneven. After I practiced for a while, I now do it without even thinking about it, and the notes come out nice and even in volume and timbre.

8. funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    so the best way to perform it is just the way i imagined? (see above)
  9. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Does the book not say anything about how to approach this notation? Jumping from a low E to a double slap played (presumably) on the D and G strings in the space of a semiquaver looks tricky (I'm at work - no bass to try it on but it seems quite demanding of accuracy and speed).

It certainly wouldn't hurt to practise it, to see what skills you build and how they can be applied, but I think I would also see how it sounded with:

- popping both notes simaltaneously

- strumming them with the thumb or fingernails (my slapping style involves quite a lot of strumming, so this would be quite a 'natural' feeling technique for me)

At least there's a bit of space after each of the double stops to return the slapping hand to position for the next note.

10. embellisher

Yes. You just need to use more of your thumb than you would slapping a single string. It probably won't sound even at first, but with some practice it will get better.
  11. funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    thx for the replies and help @ all!!